Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Flypod, iPod wired into avation headset
martinson83
Posted: May 04, 2012 10:43 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 36,732

Im an aircraft mechanic in the usmc. many times while performing maintenance im stitting on the plane with power applied. i wired a 3.5 mm jack to the micraphone input of my headset so i can listen to my ipod while im waiting for a fuel truck or maintenance to get completed. this only sends the signal through the mic into the aircraft and back through the headset. i can wire it into the speakers directly but its a choose one or the other option. im not an electrician at all but im shure there is a toggle switch that will allow me to choose between the signal being sent to the mic input, or the speakers in the headset. im looking at toggle switches online but im unsure what to order. 2 channel on/off/on mabey? seems simple but im a grease monkey not a wire chaser. anybody know what im trying to explain, and can help me order the right toggle switch?
PMEmail Poster
tekwiz
Posted: May 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,746

What you want is a double pole, double throw switch. You don't need the center off option unless you wish to be able to cut both headset & speakers at once.
This switch is used to switch the L & R hot leads only. All of the grounds are connected together.
Switches also come in different ratings, but even the smallest is more than enough for your application, so literally any DPDT switch will work. smile.gif

--------------------
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair, than the sage among his books.
For to you, kings & armies are things mighty & enduring.
To him, mere toys of the moment, to be overturned at the flick of a finger.

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
CWB
Posted: May 05, 2012 01:19 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 15,154

hmmm ...
is that a duly approved MWO ?
i-didn't-think-so .

--------------------
"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
R. Feynman '88
PM
martinson83
Posted: May 07, 2012 10:42 pm

would a SPDT Toggle ON/ON Switch work? it only has 3 pins, andit looks like i can figure it out. the ones with the 6 pins look confusing. im deployed, lol. aint no controll officer, or QA rep gonna give a damn about my headset.
PMEmail Poster
johansen
Posted: May 08, 2012 12:10 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 10,912

QUOTE (martinson83 @ May 04, 2012 05:43 pm)
my headset so i can listen to my ipod while im waiting for a fuel truck or maintenance to get completed.

you must be west coast tongue.gif

O level folks in cherry point didn't have time to eat lunch when i was in...

--------------------
9/11 was really a prototype steel smelter that runs on naturally aspirated jet fuel and phosphorus.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
martinson83
Posted: May 08, 2012 06:42 am

okinawa o level, sometimes it takes a while for the fuel truck. even longer in the dirt.
PMEmail Poster
damien
Posted: May 08, 2012 11:01 am

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 175

And then modifying aviation equipment....

Damien

--------------------
Wow you look quite normal for a geek.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.
martinson83
Posted: May 08, 2012 10:00 pm

its a headset, my headset. "modifying aviation equipment" makes it sound like a big deal. it aint flying. not harming the aircraft or brodcasting anything, cus i know how to operate the radio. i use it to call for fuel trucks, or talk to mechs around the aircraft. flypods are not a new invention. im just looking for advice from better electricians. i asked the electric shop in my squadron for help and they wired it wrong. i had to figure out to bridge the stereo signal into the mono input of the headset myself.
PMEmail Poster
martinson83
Posted: May 08, 2012 10:58 pm

this is my headset. there are many like it, but this one is badass cus i can plug an ipod into it!!!
PMEmail Poster
martinson83
Posted: May 09, 2012 12:01 am

oh!! the headset is mono and the switch is designed for a L/R hot lead, and a ground for one of the on positions and a L/R hot lead and a ground for the other on position. so i can just bridge the L/R hot leads into a single input? L/R bridged into one input and one ground for the mic, and L/R bringed into one input and one ground for the headphones. basicly turning a 6 pin switch into a 4 pin switch. just need a multimeter to get the right ground to the right input. correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure learning has just accured.
PMEmail Poster
johansen
Posted: May 09, 2012 01:05 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 10,912

i'm sure its something the I level guys could do for you if you don't have a soldering iron or whatever.

can you still look the schematics up in JKsearch?

--------------------
9/11 was really a prototype steel smelter that runs on naturally aspirated jet fuel and phosphorus.
Dig_Gil
Posted: July 15, 2012 12:22 am

Member No.: 36,962

It is as simple as this:

I will suppose your speakers are connected to some sort of amplifier which has got a place where you can stick a plug in... Maybe.
Therefore you'll need the plug. I don't know what aircraft radios use, but in car radios, one could get a cassette adapter with a wire following it.

Get a Single Pole Centre Off switch. Following that diagram, you connect (otherwise solder) the plug I spoke of before to the L1. You get one of your headset's "hot" wire connected (again: soldered) to the L2. The "com" part of the switch shall be connected (erh... soldered) to another plug which fits into the iPod's headphone socket.

Of course that there will be an extra 2 wires loose from each of the devices (supposing that everything is stereophonic nowadays.) One will be other "hot" wire (for other hear). Other will be the ground. The Ground wires of every device shall be connected to each other directly.

Presto. One flip: Pilot's headset, another flip: Aeroplane's speakers. You may hot-glue everything to the headset (maybe; be creative yourself).

If this was simple for you (I bet it is), then you may buy a Double Pole Single Throw Switch. In this case, you can add the stereo feature to your contraption by connecting the last "hot" wire which we left loose before to the extra terminals in the new switch in the same way we did before.
Be careful if you mind about the left-right disposition of sound.

Electric car windows are controlled by switches of that kind. Be aware that they are momentary switches, though. So you need to modify them if you think about using one of these.

NOTE: AFAIK, you really need an amplifier of some kind to make the loudspeakers work. Car radios are fundamentally amplifiers. Don't know about aircraft equipment. Maybe you'll have a slot in your plane's cockpit that may be used to carry another device which you can use to bring a car radio with you.

DO NOT CONNECT GROUND WIRES WITH THE HOT WIRES! MULTIMETERS NEED JOBS TOO!

Any question?
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force