Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Jamming Rc Car
shmone
Posted: February 25, 2012 10:57 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 36,572

Hello! I am new to this forum...
I hope I post in the right forum- if not please let me know...
We are having great deal of trouble lately.
A young man runs his RC car (which has petrol engine) just outside my door, over and over again. You can't imagine the noise it produces. The whole neighborhood is crazy. No matter how I tried to approach him- he wouldn't stop. It has been going on for the last few weeks.
I wanted to build some sort of a jammer. The problem is- I don't know which frequency the remote uses, and I want it to work at a large range.

Do you have any suggestions for me?
Thank you!
PMEmail Poster
damien
Posted: February 25, 2012 11:24 am

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 175

dare to race it in your own car (or your parents) and then just run over it.

Damien

--------------------
Wow you look quite normal for a geek.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
shmone
Posted: February 25, 2012 11:57 am

I think there is something wrong with this guy. I wouldn't want to mess with him... just interfere...
I thought about this idea before, but I wouldn't want to damage my car either...
PMEmail Poster
CWB
Posted: February 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 15,154

call the cops ... this is the wisest thing to do . get a few others to file a complaint .
of course , you could always interfere with his equipment with a couple of well placed high velocity impacts of lead .
you might get "bubba" (usually 6'2"-6'4" and 240-300 pounds) to have a little talk with the boy . wink.gif

the problem with jamming/interfering with his car/receiver is two fold .
first : it is illegal to wantonly and knowingly commit such an act . this places you in legal jeopardy .
second : you can't be there to interfere 24/7 . plus , eventually the guy will figure out what is going on and then you will be faced with what you have been trying to avoid , only it will be escalated and you will wind up calling the cops anyway .

i would suggest grabbing the bull by the horns and filing a complaint/suit against the guy .
if he is of the nature you describe he may just all ready have a rap sheet and the cops would be interested in the goings-on , as might his parole officer .

you have already tried the easier , softer way and it has not worked .
the guy is a lame-arsed punk with no respect for others and only learns by/understands "pain" .
time to crank it up a notch or two .

--------------------
"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
R. Feynman '88
PM
shmone
Posted: February 25, 2012 01:36 pm

Well, I tried that as well. I did not file a formal complaint, but if I don't think I can. Based on what ground?
If it is between 14:00-16:00 or after 00:00 you could call the police (they never come) but even if the police will do something- he has got any other hour of the day to keep making us nuts.

I don't think he is smart enough to understand I am jamming his signals. I thought that he will probably get tired of trying to run his car around and go interrupt someone else...

Oh, I wish I could just do what Damien suggested...
PMEmail Poster
CWB
Posted: February 25, 2012 02:22 pm

Forum Addict ++

hmmm ...
a video with the correct time/date displayed (and at least one witness to the tapings) of him "disturbing the peace" and possibly "creating a public safety hazard" (etc) would help .
you might ask what it would take to "make it stop" .

i had an experience with a neighbor that ran his stereo at a high level by his pool .
i went over and asked him to turn it down ... a fruitless effort .
this went on for a week and every evening i called the cops .
on saturday night i waited until everyone at his place was liquored (etc) up and called the cops at 2215 .
the cops arrived at my place at 2230 and i invited them in . you could hear the music blasting away .
i mentioned that my gf was sick and trying to sleep in the bedroom that faced the neighbors yard . i also mentioned that this was the sixth call about this situation .
the younger cop asked me what i wanted to do ...
i said "well , you could invoke the 2200 rule the city has in its codes about noise , disturbing the peace and also the state laws about "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" and the possibility of exposing those minors to a "controlled substance" and supplying minors with alcohol".
(blank stares from two cops)
i motioned them over to the sliding glass doors and pulled one open (there was a very gentle breeze blowing from the direction of the neighbors) .
the music was then very loud and one could detect the unmistakable aroma of pot .
the older cop said "would you be willing to sign or attest to a complaint if needed ?" .
i said "let me get my black pen and where is the video deposition going to be ?" .
the older cop smiled and said they would be back .
they headed out the door .
yessir , it didn't take long and the music was turned off .
soon after you could hear the cars leaving and about two blocks away the flashing red lights came on .
then there was a bunch of flashing lights and excitement over at the neighbors .
the two cops came back after about two hours and said that if there was anymore trouble to call them immediately .
they mentioned something about three dui arrests and a "probable cause" based search of the house .

the point being that sometimes you have to provide evidence/grounds and be willing to back it/them up before the cops can/will do anything .
they probably get a lot of complaints that are dropped or just chicken s*** ... and that has to be frustrating for them .

--------------------
R. Feynman '88
PM
Geek
Posted: February 25, 2012 03:33 pm

Group Icon

Member No.: 62

Causing a Public Disturbance is a misdemeanour (non-indictable) at any time of day. If there are young children at risk of injury nearby, this can be upped to a felony (indictable).

Cheers!

--------------------
-= Gregg =-
"Ratings are for transistors.....tubes have guidelines"
(please do not PM me for advice. Non-forum business messages will be ignored)
PMUsers Website
David Stephenson
Posted: March 06, 2012 01:21 am

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 2,918

We don't know where the OP lives. I Happen to live in a place where to rule of law is almost non-existent. If this is his situation jamming would indeed be a very good option ( or hire some guy with baseball bats to see what is problem really is).
Do these RC cars still run on 27 MHz? If they do it would be easy.
PMEmail Poster
Geek
Posted: March 06, 2012 03:32 am

Group Icon

Member No.: 62

27MHz or 49 for simple electrics. Gas ones usually the 70-something-MHz band

Cheers!

--------------------
-= Gregg =-
"Ratings are for transistors.....tubes have guidelines"
(please do not PM me for advice. Non-forum business messages will be ignored)
PMUsers Website
MikeGyver
Posted: March 06, 2012 09:25 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 12,151

The new non-crystal based PLL RC transmitters would be hard to jam since they find an open channel and automatically switch if there's noise.
PMEmail Poster
Village Idiot
Posted: March 06, 2012 03:40 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 11,398

A nanosecond pulse of microwave energy, of a few megawatts, should take care of things permanently.
PM
Nothing40
Posted: March 07, 2012 02:34 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 181

I seem to recall 49.860Mhz and 27.145Mhz as being the two most common in cheap RC stuff,IME.
His may be somewhere in the 75Mhz section..there are several 'channels' there used by (older) R/C cars,exact frequency depends on the channel/crystals he's using.
Newer R/C systems seem to be migrating towards 2.4Ghz.

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
CWB
Posted: March 07, 2012 03:44 am

Forum Addict ++

QUOTE (Village Idiot @ March 06, 2012 08:40 am)
A nanosecond pulse of microwave energy, of a few megawatts, should take care of things permanently.

including the twit being capable of reproduction ...
that might be a good thing .
laugh.gif

--------------------
R. Feynman '88
PM
Skeith
Posted: March 07, 2012 07:47 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 2,695

QUOTE (MikeGyver @ March 06, 2012 03:25 am)
The new non-crystal based PLL RC transmitters would be hard to jam since they find an open channel and automatically switch if there's noise.

spark gap transmitter. cool.gif

--------------------
-Barrett
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: March 07, 2012 08:11 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 5,314

^ And folks would probably think the RC car is causing all that RF noise... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
tekwiz
Posted: March 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,746

QUOTE (shmone @ February 25, 2012 04:36 am)
Well, I tried that as well. I did not file a formal complaint, but if I don't think I can. Based on what ground?
If it is between 14:00-16:00 or after 00:00 you could call the police (they never come) but even if the police will do something- he has got any other hour of the day to keep making us nuts.

I don't think he is smart enough to understand I am jamming his signals. I thought that he will probably get tired of trying to run his car around and go interrupt someone else...

Oh, I wish I could just do what Damien suggested...

Jamming is pretty obvious, as he'll find a circle centered on your jammer in which his car suddenly doesn't work. Anyone with more than 3 brain cells would catch on pretty quick.
Then there's the possibility of interfering with other services in the same band.
Get yourself a RC car with a bigger louder engine & fight fire with fire.
Or, you could get a Harley.

--------------------
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair, than the sage among his books.
For to you, kings & armies are things mighty & enduring.
To him, mere toys of the moment, to be overturned at the flick of a finger.

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
Jimthecopierwrench
Posted: April 30, 2012 11:56 am

Group Icon

Member No.: 561

Reminds me of the kids that would spend the daylight hours of every weekend up and down the alley with a pocket bike - drove me batshit. Thankfully one of them finally did a face plant and lost interest in the bike. Hopefully your antagonist will eventually tire of driving up and down and box the car.

Have to wonder what kind of time and energy - and of course money - one would require to build something to transmit an effective jamming signal without the receiver specs in front of you anyway. And with the specs I`d wonder if you couldn`t just transmit proper commands at higher power and maybe steer the damned thing under the next truck.

Heh. My big boy has never seen an RC car, but betcha he`d make a short game of chasing it down and laying some mods on it laugh.gif .

--------------------
Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done. Amy Earhart.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
AwesomeMatt
Posted: April 30, 2012 01:03 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 9,878

My big boy has never seen an RC car, but betcha he`d make a short game of chasing it down and laying some mods on it
PMEmail Poster
tekwiz
Posted: April 30, 2012 04:50 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,746

QUOTE (Jimthecopierwrench @ April 30, 2012 02:56 am)

Have to wonder what kind of time and energy - and of course money - one would require to build something to transmit an effective jamming signal without the receiver specs in front of you anyway. And with the specs I`d wonder if you couldn`t just transmit proper commands at higher power and maybe steer the damned thing under the next truck.

Heh. My big boy has never seen an RC car, but betcha he`d make a short game of chasing it down and laying some mods on it laugh.gif .

A decent spark gap Tesla coil would jam virtually anything at close range.
The trick is to keep it from destroying all of your solid state electronic devices at the same time. wink.gif

--------------------
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair, than the sage among his books.
For to you, kings & armies are things mighty & enduring.
To him, mere toys of the moment, to be overturned at the flick of a finger.

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force