Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pay, ,burn, Or Bang?, best route to brackethood...
Jimthecopierwrench
Posted: February 07, 2012 09:55 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 561

Conundrum which has been going on a few weeks.

I've drawn out the 'improved' brackets I need to mount the air bags to the beast. All pretty simple really - 3/8" x 1" hot roll flat bar bent into shape - er kinda a "U" with tabs (think large version of a cable bracket). Inside diameter is 3-3/8". 4 identical pieces.

I don't own torches anymore - too bad, this would have made things downright trivial.

I supose the 7 pounder will beat 3/8" into form easy enough - but not on any of the girly bench vises I own.

I went down the plaza to talk to a self proclaimed machinist - I mean I'm not asking for a turbofan rotor here - to find his shop idle, everything off, and buddy surfing the net. He looked at the drawings and started going on about how hard it would be... so I left. Next week he'll still be complaining about how his business is bad and times are tough nono.gif .

Not sure which way to go here. Do I invest in torches or a bad asses machinist vise, or keep searching for a shop that'll do 4 pieces of work for less than either of those items?

Trying also to recall if I`ve ever hand beaten anything that thick cold, and how much of a pita it might be to do so.

--------------------
Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done. Amy Earhart.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Posted: February 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 13,441

I'd guess by the time you do either find a vise that'll do the job or someone that will happily do if for $25 or so, you could buy a cheap propane torch for ~$15 and be done with it... smile.gif

--------------------
"A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts"

From the same company that brought you the Red Ring: Y2K9, Death of the Zunes.
AwesomeMatt
Posted: February 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 9,878

You still own an oven, don't you? I dunno how much softer 500'F would make it, but, might be worth a try. Stovetop easily enough too. If this is at the cave and you don't have a stove there, $15 1-burner dorm-smuggler stove from Walmart.

You don't even own a plumber's torch or anything to at least keep some heat on while you bash away?

Could MOT yourself a spot welder and clamp both terminals of that to the metal and just leave it on. That's 1000W of heat. Could MOT yourself a carbon arc torch too for that matter, wind for 30V, clamp one side and use carbon to paint the heat on. Or, for that matter, you still own a MIG welder don't you? Dial it down a bit and use a carbon instead of the gun. Dump out as much heat as your welder can handle.

I've never toyed with steel that size, don't know if any of that would give enough heat to work. Those'd be my options if I had to.
PMEmail Poster
kellys_eye
Posted: February 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 2,735

How about a few large (long) bolts through a thick plate used as a 'pin bed' to bend the bars around? Gets you the 'u-bend' quite easily. Might take a couple of practise runs to get the bolt positioning right - I'm thinking wrought iron type work here.

Bolt-on some L-brackets.

There's a thought..... anyone in the area doing that kind of work (blacksmithing?)

--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
johansen
Posted: February 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 10,912

ha. how hard could it be.

its as simple as taking a 3 inch diameter pipe and wrapping a 3/16th inch plate around it, then welding the edge of the plate to the pipe (to make the wall thickness of the pipe thicker and to the proper diameter).

then cut that pipe in half lengthwise, weld a plate to the end of that and chuck it in the press.

for the other half of the die all you need is two blocks of steel spaced apart as needed, round the corner of the block over with a grinder so it doesn't dig into the bar.

on the other hand, 3/8th by 1 inch hot rolled steel is easy to bend, you could probably do it in a vice with some custom cheater bars, and a die made from a good block of hardwood.

--------------------
Can the Ethics Committee have a closed door meeting without imploding from cognitive dissonance?
MacFromOK
Posted: February 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 5,314

Unless ya have more free time than I suspect, an oxy-acet torch would be the way to go IMO. As you already know, it makes lots of stuff easier, so it's not a one-time use thing. beer.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
Jimthecopierwrench
Posted: February 08, 2012 12:05 am

Group Icon

Member No.: 561

I'm thinking wrought iron type work here ... on the other hand, 3/8th by 1 inch hot rolled steel is easy to bend

Ya know... I have this 3 foot piece of 2" x 3/4" stock that I use for various things - I suspect for some reason the 'feel' of this dimension is floating around in my head even though I'm saying 3/8 x 1. You're right, those railing bender types AFAIK don't go to exotic lengths to get the job done, and I'm sure I've seen 1/2" square stock used. I betcha at worst I'm looking at a bit of sweat and ingenuity with pipe, chain, and perhaps a hydraulic jack. The stock is certainly cheap enough to give it a go before thinking too hard. Wonder why this has been heavy in my mind? Hmm, think I feel a bit better.

oxy-acet torch would be the way to go IMO. As you already know, it makes lots of stuff easier, so it's not a one-time use thing.
Yeah, regardless of the job at hand, there certainly have been times where I wish I still had a rig - probably should put that on a short list anyway as there are indeed several jobs put aside that call for some no screwing around cherry heat.

--------------------
Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done. Amy Earhart.
Colt45
Posted: February 08, 2012 08:40 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 1,333

I'd think a $10 propane/air rig would get it hot enough to bend nice, no?
or two of them? lmao.

Can't say I've ever tried, having the oxy/acet torch handy...

--------------------
>]:::|-
PMEmail PosterICQ
Village Idiot
Posted: February 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 11,398

QUOTE (Jimthecopierwrench @ February 07, 2012 02:55 pm)
...self proclaimed machinist
...He looked at the drawings and started going on about how hard it would be...

Only thing worse than this, is the self proclaimed machinist who interrupts while you're explaining what you want, and says "I know exactly what you want. I do this all the time."

Run away. As fast as you can.

What you need is a farmer friend, one with an arc welder and a torch, and who fixes his own combine. Whenever I need some welding, serious pounding etc., I take a trip out into the country to visit my farmer buddy. He swears at me, but eventually relents, and we get 'er done.
PM
CWB
Posted: February 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 15,154

i'd opt for a set of torches .
of course there is that lease bit on the tanks , unless you already have a set .
with propane and oxygen you should be able to heat that steel nicely .

if you don't want to invest the money ... build a fire .

--------------------
"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
R. Feynman '88
PM
tekwiz
Posted: February 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,746

Get yourself a 10 gallon empty metal grease pail. A few holes in the right placers & you've got a handy charcoal forge that will heat those things red hot with little difficulty. Once to red heat, you'll be able to wrap the strip around a piece of pipe with little difficulty. Back into the forge for a reheat, then over the pipe & into the vise to squeeze the ends together. This won't take any more than hand pressure, as the bar will be as soft as lead while red hot.
When you're finished all 4, throw them back into the forge, buried in charcoal & ashes, & let the fire go out on it's own & things cool down overnight.
The whole operation shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 10lb bags of charcoal briquettes. A blower can be added to the forge if you need more heat. I doubt you will, however, as long as you have a few decent sized air holes in the pail. wink.gif

--------------------
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair, than the sage among his books.
For to you, kings & armies are things mighty & enduring.
To him, mere toys of the moment, to be overturned at the flick of a finger.

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force