Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Help With Multimeter, Same as title
SidMan
Posted: January 24, 2012 08:14 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 36,298

Hi -

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not but I am in the market for a multimeter.

I'm *brand* new to electronics and am working with PIC chips and building circuits off of 5v regulators.

I'm wondering what type of multimeter I can get that's a great deal that will help someone like me tremendously - if that makes any sense smile.gif

I am currently looking at Fluke - is this a good brand? My local Craigslist has a 175 @ $100, a 177 @ $150-160, and a 179 @ $129.

The 179 seems like a great deal - I could really use the features of this vs a cheaper $25ish multimeter.

Any recommendations or suggestions here? I'm super new with this and could use absolutely all the help I can get with these tools yet I can't spend much unless it'll be a life saver so to say.

Thank you guys so much - Sid
PMEmail Poster
Geek
Posted: January 24, 2012 08:21 am

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 62

Hi,

Fluke's a great brand, but they also have application specific meters. Most of the cheapies are electrician's and not technician's meters.

What's your budget? A technician's Fluke to last as long as you do will run ~$400.

You can get a just-as-good-but-less-than-oops-proof Triplett for half that.

Cheers!

--------------------
-= Gregg =-
"Ratings are for transistors.....tubes have guidelines"
(please do not PM me for advice. Non-forum business messages will be ignored)
PMUsers Website
johansen
Posted: January 24, 2012 08:46 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 10,912

there's no difference, electrically, between 90% of the 3.5 digit multimeter on the planet.

fluke is the high end of the reliability-cost tradeoff.

--------------------
Can the Ethics Committee have a closed door meeting without imploding from cognitive dissonance?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
SidMan
Posted: January 24, 2012 09:05 am

Thank you so much guys.

I've been looking at the Triplett's tonight now. My budget is - if I go all out on this hobby this is the hobby I get for a while smile.gif But I think it's worth it for these advanced multimeters in learning electronics.

So between the Triplett and Fluke - is the Fluke better in general but not so much to justify the price? The Fluke 179 I can buy used locally is barely used - he says he barely used it and its $129 usd with a retail of $260 usd new. The Triplett's new are about $20ish usd more than this used Fluke 179. Seems like a great deal I may go for this but if its not available then a new Triplett sounds like a great deal.

Again... Thank You! This forum has the most friendly, helpful folks Ive met in this subject.
PMEmail Poster
telomere
Posted: January 24, 2012 09:23 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 9,502

Look at bk precision. wink.gif

--------------------
"Sometimes I can't tell the difference between thinking and being quiet, but I'll try."
PMEmail Poster
Geek
Posted: January 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 62

Johansen's correct on the electrical functionality - the same A/D is found in several models and brands, but features and application differ.

If you have the coin, go for the Fluke, bar none. I've regretted not getting one when I could with every DMM I blew up and tossed tongue.gif

Cheers!

--------------------
-= Gregg =-
"Ratings are for transistors.....tubes have guidelines"
(please do not PM me for advice. Non-forum business messages will be ignored)
PMUsers Website
Colt45
Posted: January 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 1,333

If you're just starting, I'd buy a $8 one, and blow the change on a used scope.

--------------------
>]:::|-
PMEmail PosterICQ
millwood
Posted: January 24, 2012 01:10 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 25,377

those $10 ones from walmart will be sufficient for your use.
PMEmail Poster
johansen
Posted: January 24, 2012 08:05 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 10,912

my favourite so far is the only 6000 count meter you can get on ebay for less than $35 including shipping.

sometimes harbour freight has 3.5 digit multimeters for $4.99.

--------------------
Can the Ethics Committee have a closed door meeting without imploding from cognitive dissonance?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
AwesomeMatt
Posted: January 24, 2012 09:03 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 9,878

sometimes harbour freight has 3.5 digit multimeters for $4.99.

Sometimes $1-$2.

I'm with Colt, if you're just starting out, buy the $5 one. It's only 2% the cost of a nice meter, and about 95% of the functionality.

If you choose poorly and end up needing features/precision the $5 ones lack, you've made a $5 mistake and wasted $5 out of $250. 2% waste.

IF you choose poorly and end up *not* needing features/precision of the $250 one, you've made a $250 mistake. 5000% waste.

Plus, you'll need two meters anyway, might as well have a cheapo. I've got 4 or 5 laying around which is convenient just 'cause I can forget to bring one with me between rooms and there's probably already one there.

Here's a video, the $50 multimeter shootout: http://www.eevblog.com/2010/06/04/eevblog-...meter-shootout/

Followup, the $100 multimeter shootout: http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/11/eevblog-...ni-t-part-1of2/

How to set up a (decent, not cheapo) electronics lab, first thing he mentions is multimeters: http://www.eevblog.com/2011/04/30/eevblog-...lectronics-lab/
PMEmail Poster
SidMan
Posted: January 27, 2012 03:48 am

Just wanted to come in and say Thank You for these EEVBlog links. Amazing - I now to get at least one ExTech EX330 and with savings get an oscilliscope.

Thanks - these links were so helpful AwesomeMatt and everyone with your thoughts here. I just started this and each week I get more experienced with everything. I met someone local who has a small lab and I can't wait to meet up now with what I've learned the past two weeks.

Thanks again. I think these links should be sticky'd smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
MikeGyver
Posted: January 27, 2012 11:08 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 12,151

After wasting money on like 5 meters I finally got a Fluke. After much comparison I went with an 83V, got it for $100 on ebay in new condition. I absolutely love it.
My scope has been much more helpful and essential than an expensive meter though. I would definitely recommend getting a <$30 meter and saving ~$200 for a scope (if you plan on ever getting one). If you don't really plan on getting into electronics enough to justify a scope and just want a good meter than will last you forever, get a fluke. If you just want to do basic stuff for a while get a cheapie.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force