Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)!
Pages:123 ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Compaq Portable Ii Restoration Project, They don't make them like they used to
Nothing40
Posted: March 23, 2012 07:33 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 181

The HDD in my lappy has been doing the same sort of eerie 'death moan' for a while also. It will do it completely out of the blue,and then go away after a few minutes. No bad sectors,or other signs of damage,except it did lock up once while it was doing it.

Those Compaq's bring back memories,haven't seen one of those in ages. They were funky little machines.

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
awace
Posted: October 06, 2012 06:57 am

Group: Members+
Member No.: 37,289

QUOTE (Roccivic @ June 09, 2010 01:35 pm)
QUOTE (Fallingwater @ June 09, 2010 07:11 pm)
After further testing, it's clear that anything above MS-DOS 3.2 and below 6.0 causes it to hang, but 6.00 boots. 6.22 makes it hang again.
I've no idea why it does this, but at least I know if the HD dies I can put 6.00 back on it.D

Maybe you can get the changelog somewhere to see what new features make it hang?

QUOTE (Fallingwater @ June 09, 2010 07:11 pm)
I've found an old version of Word that runs on DOS. It's weird to do wordprocessing on a green phosphor screen tongue.gif

I have to deal with nano and vi on a weekly basis. Not a green phosphor screen, but terminal based none the less...

ok 1st off I just loaded windows w98 boot disk but not running windows 98
how did i do this you ask whell i removed the whole drive cage
then i hooked the floppy to my big machine then i made a bootable usb drive with dos win98 dos on it.
then i made the usb drive or cdrom boot to disk A:
then i changed to b: witch was the 5 360k! drive
now i went format b: /f:360k now this is the key to getting any dos onto the floppy drive
then i went sys a: c:
now this will work w windows98 boot disk too but problem is the storage space on a floppy was not enough to get the whole thing i wanted .
I made a floppy disk boot to sys.com fdisk.exe format.com edit.com
edit.hlp
fdisk.exe and himem.sys
then i took the csetup.exe file and put it on a nother floppy
then once i formated the disk /f:360k just type format /? to see what i used for format /f:360k then i went sys a: b:
then once i was done i replaced the drive cage.
then i figured out the miniscribe was using IDE going into the drive controler on the DRIVE so i just swapped the whole drive out to a IDE 6G western digital drive then booted to the a: and after replaceing the c-mos battery with a nokia 3589i battery fully charged i changed the boot seqence from a: c: to c: a:
then selected 259M drive type then i formated drive c:
then went sys a: c: then reboted and viola it showed the win98 graphic then went to c:
of course since there is no memory board it only has 640k I can run gwbasic and bowling and adventure and some crappy old school basic games like eliza
now when i want more stuff on the drive i just remove the ide drive and put it on big machine..
so wrong you are all are you just need to format the floppy to the format a: /F:360k
then it formats the floppy to the 360k since dos3 only had 360k thats why it boots to it and does not recognize dos5 unless it has been formated f:360k
now thats the only reason it wont read disks cause the c-mos only recognizes 360k disks on the controler!! but since the thing uses ide you can have 259M and then it has 259M free if you format from a: then sys a: c: you will have dos then you can load himem.sys
I wish i had a memory expansion board.
ok last time it turned it on was 3 years ago and it worked fine I had to recharge the c-mos battery in a nokia phone and it worked great after i swapped the boot sequence i have a boot disk w the c-setup.exe file on it..
i am looking at it now and i have 2 drives in it one 6g and one 20g but they are setup as 259m in the c-mos..
Bad NEWS i turned it on today and it ran for awhile booted to c: using floppy and then just went into some weird mode keeps trying to start and power psupply whimps out squeels and wont power on removed all cards and unhooked screen w no luck I am going to snip off battery and see what happens!.
anyway if anyone needs a floppy copy of the setupfile w dos7 on it so you can format and use ide drive 259M on it let me know..
PMEmail Poster
Fallingwater
Posted: October 06, 2012 01:17 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 8,638

Perhaps a small introductory paragraph in which you tell us what it is that you're trying to accomplish and what your problems are?

--------------------
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Learn the rules, so you can break them properly.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
awace
Posted: October 08, 2012 02:50 am

This is whay i stated that it had nothing to do with witch version of dos you use its the way you format a 360k drive the c-mos only will boot to a 360k formated floppy drive or a harddrive already sys.com from the 360k formated 5 drive it can have any dos on it but must be booted form it to format c: then sys C:
you can use format c:/q/s and it works..
I thought it was the dos version too untill i used win98 and found out any dos works its just getting the floppy to format as 360k to

I was just letting poeple know you can use dos7 from win98 and it works although the mem wont let you do anything else.
The Compaq II has been disasembled since it is now toast the video card only makes @ symbols all over the screen and the motherboard shorts out the power supply unless I tape off two of the connections..
SO I trashed the whole thing exept the screen cage and the drive cage..
so If anyone needs the boot disk with the c-setup.exe file that loads froma 5 360k drive let me know..
I decided to keep the screen Cause it still powers on with 12V DC the red wire on the left is 12v the black wire on the right is GND and the one in the middle grey wire on the screen goes to the POT TO GND to make it bright short out then the master bright on the top overrides this..
I was just gloating about how I had Taken the 360k drive and put win98 sys.com on it it was cool to see the win98 thing start..
ALSO just to let you know I kept the 6gig western digital and the other 20G drive I had formated as #41 259M and I loaded it into a P III to see how fast Bowling loaded whell it loaded fast but played even faster
Bowling usually needs 160 to play at a playable rate but now i have to add
90202 to the 160 just to slow it down to a P 800Mhz speed witch means the P III is 9000 times faster than the 286 ..
I wish the power had not screwed up last night.. but I still have parts..
PS. there is a Compaq II on ebay for $30 but its raising in price now but would be good deal..

I was just trying to let people know how easy it was to get dos onto the compaq the hard thing is to get the usb drive to load on the big machine and then format B: /360 and then get sys a: b: then i still copied command.com a: b:
then i copy a:\*.* b:
then put the csetup.exe on this disk or a new one if it wont fit with dos files on it
I started with format.com sys.com and fdisk.exe and command.com
then i put csetup.exe and himem.sys on the other one..
it was cool to get the drive type 259M to format c: from a: and sys c:
then get it to boot.
if anyone needs a 5 disk let me know I would have to copy it 1st witch means rehooking the cage to my big machine but I would to that.. anyway good luck ..
PS if anyone needs a screen I kept that and the cage threw everything else away.

This post has been edited by awace on October 08, 2012 03:03 am
PMEmail Poster
awace
Posted: October 08, 2012 03:13 am

Just look at my last post as i just removed the 369k floppy and hooked to my big machine then formated it sys a: B: a: being a usb drive then fixed it then put c-setup.exe on it I think this might be true for some older dells and some other weird older 286 computers too as i remember having to format a 3 drive as a 360k once just to get a c-mos to boot on a weird system I only see this in older computers as the new ones will boot from win98 on a normal sized floppy I wonder if I was the only one to format a 6Gig western digital caviar drive as 259Mbytes on the Compaq portable II after puting a new c-mos battery in and running csetup.exe from 360k floppy i was able to finnally format the c drive and sys a: c: then get the csetup.exe on it although once i formated it from the 360k boot disk I just took the drive out and put it on the big machine and just pasted my files i wanted into it as I was able to get files bigger than the floppy on although since it only had 640k it probably could have used the floppy but would have took longer !! now it died but I still have the screen and the harddrive cage... I used to have it boot to adv.exe YES YOU WANT instructions and OR BOWLING withc now needs instead of game speed 160 playable and 0 being to fast to play i on the pIII I had to add 90909 to the 160 in order to slow bowling down enough to play The good news is
gwbasic.exe still runs on a P III but you have to slow it down by a 10,000 factor to get it to slow down enough to be same as 286 8 Mhz wow brings back memorys of altair 8800!!!
PMEmail Poster
awace
Posted: October 08, 2012 03:32 am

i almost forgot to ask what ever happened did you get it running you just left off not explaning weather it works now and weather you got it fixed... thats what i was replying to was that you had started on it..
mine booted to c: i cant remember if off floppy or hardrive I have 2 ide's hooked in all set to type 41 then after 1/2 hour I left it on c:\> then noticed it was stuck and the fan was geeking the thing would not boot and was trying to startup the red led was flashing and i decided it was toast..
SO I WAS wondering if yours was working yet I was trying to help you get youres going As far as the keyboard just crunch the key box out then scrapt the solder untill a layer comes off the contact point were the key makes contact then it might work again this was what was wrong w my keyboard also try formating the floppys in 360k
format a:/f:360 then sys c: a: from a win98 usb stick or B: disk..
you can boot from a usb stick or cdrom disk with a win98 startup disk containing fdisk.exe sys.com format.com edit.hlp edit.com and csetup.exe
now this wont fit onto a 360k disk but the c-mos on the lame COMPAQ PORTABLE II WONT BOOT WITH OUT A 360K FORMATED DISK I HAVENT TRIED TO FORMAT A 3 DISK TO 360K BUT IT MIGHT WORK once you get the original 360k floppy drive hooked to the big machine format a floppy a: /f:360 then sys a: then copy csetup.exe and dos files onto floppys that boot then once you get to a: on the compaq put the 360k floppy with csetup.exe c-mos utility in the floppy drive and run then you can setup drive type 41 then format c: then sys a: c:
then run csetup.exe then change from a: c: then to c: a: boot
then once it boots to a: sys a: c: and it should POP win98 boot for that slip 2 seconds of boot you will see the win98 boot thing then it will c:\ then you can remove the drive and put harddrive onto big machine or usb dongle and copy files you want on youre compaq portable II..
since mine blew up the other day i am offering anyone who want one a floppy with the bootbale csetup file for the 5 drive I can sell the 5 drive but would rather keep it so anyone who needs a 5 floppy formated the way it needs to be in the 360k format with the csetup.exe file let me know.. my introductory paragrah was a reply to youre not telling us weather you got youres running.. seems like you never got yours going as you never said weather you got the enter key working just scratch the solder trace not to remove to mutch but a little and it should conduct better YOU COULD use a green 3m scrubbie witch should work..
It was GREAT to run eliza adventure.exe YES instructions yes reincarnated plugh xyzzy and bowling i cant find luner lander 76.6 thrust 38 times then 98.98 98.98 and then 76.6 then mabie you land on moon in the ONLY TEXT game..
boy thinking about dos7 and 360k drives brings back memorys.!HAVE FUN
PMEmail Poster
CWB
Posted: October 08, 2012 11:52 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 15,154

hmmm ...
perhaps this new addition would be best split out and a new topic started ?

--------------------
"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
R. Feynman '88
PM
Fallingwater
Posted: October 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 8,638

Please someone do it.

--------------------
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Learn the rules, so you can break them properly.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
awace
  Posted: October 16, 2012 03:04 pm

Not A big deal anymore as It blew up the only thing left now is the Screen witch I saved in case someone needed one I saved the drive cage too.
and the 360k floppy drive.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages:123 Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force