Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Diy "mosquito" 17.4 Khz Noise Generator, child repellent
Araya
Posted: May 26, 2010 06:47 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 13,056

How hard would it be to generate noise at 17.4 khz?
It's the frequency of the Mosquito, the device that only children can hear devil.gif
Just starting electronics and I thought it'd be fun to put something like this together, could anyone point me to any schematics or anything similar, thought it'd be more fun than flashing lights. Even if there aren't any plans, for future reference is it quite simple to do?
thanks smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
tekwiz
Posted: May 26, 2010 06:57 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,746

Nothing to it. Look up a circuit for a 555 tone generator & choose the timing components for your desired frequency. 555 tutorials abound on the Web.

--------------------
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair, than the sage among his books.
For to you, kings & armies are things mighty & enduring.
To him, mere toys of the moment, to be overturned at the flick of a finger.

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: May 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 5,314

Not sure that frequency will always be the cutoff point, as it seems to vary with individuals.

Be aware that even if the sound doesn't register in the brain, it will be creating pressure on the eardrums. So if you make it loud/intense, it can still give someone a splitting headache.

This can be demonstrated (if you're into pain and hearing loss) with a tone generator on your computer (there's a free one on our Pinned: Links! page). beer.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
MikeGyver
Posted: May 27, 2010 08:17 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 12,151

Do it the easy way.

Download a software tone generator, run your (audio) line out into a powerful amplifier and power some loud tweeters (which are quite cheap online). Good for making the neighbors dogs leave the area and stop barking too. thumbsup.gif
PMEmail Poster
tekwiz
Posted: May 27, 2010 05:38 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (MikeGyver @ May 26, 2010 11:17 pm)
Do it the easy way.

Download a software tone generator, run your (audio) line out into a powerful amplifier and power some loud tweeters (which are quite cheap online). Good for making the neighbors dogs leave the area and stop barking too. thumbsup.gif

Yep, & piezo tweeters are best, as they produce more sound per watt than any other type. They cost about $2.30 apiece on eBay. I have some of them & they are definately weapons grade. I'm planning to use them for a stop barking dogs setup that should cover an entire block.

--------------------

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
Araya
Posted: May 28, 2010 04:53 pm

Group: Members+
Member No.: 13,056

Thanks very much, I thought it might be a complicated thing to do because the commercial device costs about 300! I'll bear in mind air pressure, didn't want to harm anyone biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
AdamO
Posted: May 28, 2010 07:44 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 12,522

QUOTE (tekwiz @ May 27, 2010 05:38 pm)
Do it the easy way.

Download a software tone generator, run your (audio) line out into a powerful amplifier and power some loud tweeters (which are quite cheap online). Good for making the neighbors dogs leave the area and stop barking too.  thumbsup.gif

Yep, & piezo tweeters are best, as they produce more sound per watt than any other type. They cost about $2.30 apiece on eBay. I have some of them & they are definately weapons grade. I'm planning to use them for a stop barking dogs setup that should cover an entire block.

You think that would silence barking dogs? Seems to me like it would make 'em bark more (annoying them and such). Hey, lemme know if you are successful because we've got some neighbors that keep (and neglect, IMO) a gaggle of little dogs in their yard and I wouldn't mind quieting those little muts sometimes.

-Adam O.
PMEmail Poster
tekwiz
Posted: May 28, 2010 08:10 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (AdamO @ May 28, 2010 10:44 am)
Do it the easy way.

You think that would silence barking dogs? Seems to me like it would make 'em bark more (annoying them and such). Hey, lemme know if you are successful because we've got some neighbors that keep (and neglect, IMO) a gaggle of little dogs in their yard and I wouldn't mind quieting those little muts sometimes.

-Adam O.

I plan to fire mine for a short period every time I hear a dog bark nearby. I figure if the sound is loud enough to bother their ears, it shouldn't take long to condition them against barking unnecessarily. A really horrible sounding modulation should also help.

--------------------

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
CWB
Posted: May 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 15,154

QUOTE (AdamO @ May 28, 2010 01:44 pm)
Do it the easy way.

-Adam O.

sounds like they're juuussst about the right size for the BBQ !
throw the bones on the neighbor's steps ... he'll get the idea .
laugh.gif

--------------------
"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
R. Feynman '88
PM
MacFromOK
Posted: May 29, 2010 01:52 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 5,314

Gotta admit BBQ sauce does hide a multitude of (off) flavors. laugh.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force