Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wireless Transmission Between Cam And Lcd
ecloney
Posted: May 21, 2010 04:34 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 28,645

I posted this topic in the general section, which i later realized would probably be better suited here. I apologize for the repost if you've already viewed this thread.

In a project I'm currently working on I would like to take images obtained from a camera, and wirelessly stream them to an 18/24bit lcd. Resolution of the LCD has yet to be determined, however i am certainly open to suggestions! I'm aware of a few cameras, such as the CMUcam or AVRcam, but all of these seem to be a little overboard for my purposes.

I would prefer to use XBee 1 modules as the transmission medium, sending at 115200 bps to an AVR running at 20MHz via external oscillator. I understand that some sort of ARM or FPGA hardware is typically used to accomplish this task, but I have yet to work with either, and I dont know VHDL, so of course I am hoping this may be done with the hardware I'm already familiar with.

Main questions:
1) Even if I can only recieve and display 0.5-1 fps, is this likely to be accomplished with the mentioned AVR/XBee hardware?

2) Can anybody who is familiar with this sort of hardware suggest a cam to use, that is more suited for my purposes, while not incredibly difficult to work with. ie: possibly contained in dev board w/ driver, similar to the above mentioned cams. I was hoping to avoid the cmos cam from sparkfun, as it seems to have very minimal documentation.

3) Any suggestions for 18 or 24bit LCD modules would be very much appreciated.

Again, as I have never worked with 18/24bit LCDs or cams, any advice to get me started would be very helpful. Ultimately I'm hoping to send images from the cam mounted on an rc car back to the wireless remote (lcd), speed isnt a huge deal as long as i have somewhere to start. Thanks for looking!
PMEmail Poster
CWB
Posted: May 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 15,154

they make 2.4 GHz (or other frequencies) rf linked cameras that are pretty small ... and fairly reasonable in price .
this would be a simpler way to achieve what you what to do ...
unless you want to build everything from the ground up for the sake of the learning experience .

--------------------
"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
R. Feynman '88
PM
Ice-Tea
Posted: May 21, 2010 01:23 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 462

Do not underestimate the amount of BW you need for images... A 640*480 RGB LCD would require almost 1mbps to display 1 fps, and that's not even counting blanking...
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ecloney
Posted: May 21, 2010 02:54 pm

@CWB I certainly dont wanna start from the ground up for this project, so i will begin looking for some sort of 2.4ghz range camera, thanks!

@Ice-Tea i have seen been looking at the nordic nRF24L01 chip that seems to be able to support data rates much faster than the xbee i originally considered. I believe this should suffice, as i'm pretty sure from what i've read it will send over 1mbps
PMEmail Poster
Ice-Tea
Posted: May 21, 2010 03:42 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 462

Still all depends on resolution. And you'll still have to find a way to serialise data etc etc...
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ecloney
Posted: May 21, 2010 09:14 pm

QUOTE (Ice-Tea @ May 21, 2010 09:42 am)
Still all depends on resolution. And you'll still have to find a way to serialise data etc etc...

i was hoping to go with a 200x320 9-12bit lcd which im having trouble finding. i also have no idea how serialization is done, which is what im hoping to obtain suggestions about. at least where to start looking would be helpful =D
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force