Powered by Invision Power Board


Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Battery Exploded
infobot
Posted: July 28, 2008 09:08 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Newbie
**

Group: Members+
Posts: 29
Member No.: 6,196
Joined: August 31, 2006




Recently a 1.5 Volt battery exploded while it was in my remote control.
The remote was in a cabinet. All things around 20 centimeters were dirty
with a sort of dry white powder.

How dangerous is it when you would hold this remote into your hands
and that the battery would explode?


The battery was 6 months older than the date on the battery.
What brand is the safest and what to look out for.

This post has been edited by infobot on July 28, 2008 09:10 pm
PMEmail Poster
Top
johansen
Posted: July 28, 2008 09:30 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Trusted Members
Posts: 3,159
Member No.: 10,912
Joined: September 06, 2007




what kind of battery?

alkaline types would leave a brown powder imo, i've never heard of one exploding even if shorted.



--------------------
9/11 was really a prototype steel smelter that runs on naturally aspirated jet fuel and phosphorus.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Top
ChipUser
Posted: July 28, 2008 09:33 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Trusted Members
Posts: 2,406
Member No.: 15,445
Joined: May 30, 2008




I am assuming it is a Carbon-Zinc or Alkaline battery. I have never heard of these type of batteries explode in normal use or storage even when past their use-by date. If possible, report this to the manufacturer. If its a reputable brand, they may want to investigate the exploded battery.

Did the remote control case get damaged? Any kind of (and size/level) explosion in any consumer product is upsetting as these are tested well before release to the general public.

As this is a very rare occasion, I will have to say stick to reputable brands that put applicable certification marks on their products. Call me biased but the recent and continuing problems with Chinese products have convinced me to stay away from anything Chinese (unless the QC is by the manufacturer located elsewhere) if it can impact the safety of something I care about.
PMEmail Poster
Top
kellys_eye
Posted: July 28, 2008 11:09 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Posts: 10,679
Member No.: 2,735
Joined: June 21, 2005




The battery may have been inserted incorrectly.


--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Top
V0YNICH
Posted: July 29, 2008 12:23 am
Reply to this postQuote Post


Sr. Member
*****

Group: Trusted Members
Posts: 369
Member No.: 3,794
Joined: December 07, 2005




Ahm.. I sleep with my mobile phone and tv remote control at 10 cm of me.. well one of these days I will have explosive dreams laugh.gif

I saw some samsung batteries that after some months get deformations..The users are unable to close the back cover because the batterie got bigger due to that deformations. I've already short a li-ion batterie.. it gets really hot and smokes but no explostion was registered.
About that 1,5 alkaline batteries I don't know how they react to short circuits..
It would be awsome if you upload a picture with the remote control state thumbsup.gif
Inté


--------------------
Live and learn!
PMEmail Poster
Top
CWB
Posted: July 29, 2008 02:18 am
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Posts: 21,453
Member No.: 15,154
Joined: May 15, 2008




i've seen 9 volt alkaline batteries explode ... a "post mortem" showed that one cell shorted and grenaded ... the rest were ok .

i suppose it is possible to have a AA alkaline cell explode .
the white powder might be the remains of the electrolyte . the cell could have vented and the dissolved electrolyte dispersed as a fine mist which dried rather quickly .
i would want to believe that name brand cells would be better built than the cheapo units and therefore be less apt to grenade .
but , nothing man makes is ever going to be perfect ... you pays your nickle and takes your chances .


--------------------
"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
R. Feynman '88
PM
Top
johansen
Posted: July 29, 2008 02:50 am
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Trusted Members
Posts: 3,159
Member No.: 10,912
Joined: September 06, 2007




I take back my previous statement. doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

I completely forgot about charging a D cell battery with 18 volts AC biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

the negative electrode would shoot out of the battery, along with the white alkaline very hot fluid/slurry. (212F / 100C)

now that i remember how this occurs I think it's entirely plausible, in an extreme situation.
the negative electrode is held in place by a white (nylon?) disk, which is about 1/16th inch thick around the 14 gauge steel rod.

the negative end of the battery is spot welded to the negative rod. and a second disk is spot welded to this at the edge, in three places around the perimeter, underneath the shrink wrap, so you don't see the welds.

however, this requires the rod to leave the battery, it's like 2 cm long, held in place by a good amount of friction at room temp. the battery temp certainly has to get above 100c for there to be any amount of pressure, although above this temperature it is possible the shrink wrap melts and the plastic offers no resistance.


--------------------
9/11 was really a prototype steel smelter that runs on naturally aspirated jet fuel and phosphorus.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Top
infobot
Posted: July 29, 2008 09:07 am
Reply to this postQuote Post


Newbie
**

Group: Members+
Posts: 29
Member No.: 6,196
Joined: August 31, 2006




Not sure but I thought the brand was Aerocell and it was alkaline.
It was inserted properly. I never actually 'heard' it explode
but because of the dry white mess everywhere I thought it was
exploded. The remote control is not being damaged as far as I
know, it is a remote that I almost never use anymore for the
Sony Dat-recorder.
PMEmail Poster
Top
johansen
Posted: July 29, 2008 04:46 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Trusted Members
Posts: 3,159
Member No.: 10,912
Joined: September 06, 2007




A photo would help smile.gif

Sounds more like leaked rather than exploded twisted shrapnel.


--------------------
9/11 was really a prototype steel smelter that runs on naturally aspirated jet fuel and phosphorus.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Top
tekwiz
Posted: July 29, 2008 08:41 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 28,711
Member No.: 5,746
Joined: July 24, 2006




Sounds like the battery shorted & vented, rather than exploded. Venting can be quite violent, & can spray electrolyte for quite a distance, which quickly dries to a white powder. You might want to open your remote & make sure there is no electrolyte residue inside, as it will quickly corrode the electronics into uselessness. cool.gif


--------------------
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair, than the sage among his books.
For to you, kings & armies are things mighty & enduring.
To him, mere toys of the moment, to be overturned at the flick of a finger.

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
Top
infobot
Posted: July 30, 2008 03:49 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Newbie
**

Group: Members+
Posts: 29
Member No.: 6,196
Joined: August 31, 2006




How could that battery get shorted? I do clean remotes with a bit of water and
soap, could that be the cause?

"Venting can be quite violent and can spray electrolyte"

How dangerous is this, I have read that it is a sort of sulphuric acid
that could burn the skin. shock.gif biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster
Top
tekwiz
Posted: July 30, 2008 07:30 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 28,711
Member No.: 5,746
Joined: July 24, 2006




Not in a disposable battery. The electrolyte is a mixture of a mild alkali & some salts. Not likely to be harmful, unless you get it into your eyes. The venting itself can be quite hot, however, so you should avoid contact until everything has cooled off. You likely had a defective battery, as this type of behavior is very rare. Your cleaning had nothing to do with it. cool.gif


--------------------
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair, than the sage among his books.
For to you, kings & armies are things mighty & enduring.
To him, mere toys of the moment, to be overturned at the flick of a finger.

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

 


:: support us ::




ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force