Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Hp 3580a, Seaching info about A7 board
nilton
Posted: March 07, 2015 07:17 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 39,680

Hi, friends!

I bought an old Audio Spectrum Analyzer HP3580A, Serial Number 2736A00786, and it has various problems. I've searched the service manual in the internet, and I found various manuals, including one that was revised in september, 1987, but the serial number covered in this manual is 2030A, and uses the A7 board code 03580-66507.

The parts list suggests a replacement part 03580-69507 (refurbished, possibly)...

Anyway, thanks to this manual, I could fix almost all problems, but the problem is in the digital Sotrage A7 board, that has code number 03580-66517, Rev. A. But this manual and the others I get at the internet do not mention it, only the same type of board that was used since series 1415A (or older).

As I said, this A7 board is totally different of the other (I believe it was an redesigned/improved board), that is completely different of the other A7 board.

I send a message to Keysight (new Agilent/HP brand), but they send me a link that is of serial number 1415A...

Then, I need, if possible, find any user of this equipment and have the service manual of this serial number (2736A-XXXXX), or other serial that uses that A7 board, coded 03580-66517, chiefly the troubleshooting and schematic of this particular board.

Thank you all

Nilton
PMEmail Poster
draget
Posted: March 08, 2015 05:14 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Cleanup Taskforce
Member No.: 1,770

I have one, and I've repaired it, not sure which A7 mine has, I'll check. What's up with yours?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
nilton
Posted: March 08, 2015 04:46 pm

Hi, Draget

The analog part is working OK, but the display is totally blank. I discovered that the horizontal plates of the tube is totally deviated to right side (120V right, ~60V left side), the the trace is out of screen, naturally. Then I readjust the horizontal position trimpot in A13 board, and a vertical trace appears in the right side, half height amplitude, but not respond to input signal.
Unfortunately, without the schematic, is almost impossible to find the problem.

I just now have serviced another 3580A, serial 1450A, that uses the "older" A7 board, and I found 5 (five!) defective ICīs, all CMOS type, and the instrument is working perfectly, after complete calibration.

This model I am working now uses a digital display, instead of a mechanical display used in the older model.

Thank you for your attention!

Nilton
PMEmail Poster
draget
Posted: March 10, 2015 02:26 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Cleanup Taskforce
Member No.: 1,770

Mine is the older type too. Checked the manuals I have, they don't go any newer than Sep 87 and reference only 66507. Sorry!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
nilton
Posted: March 10, 2015 07:57 pm

Ok, Draget, thank you very much. I will try to follow the signals that enters in the A7 board connector (I hope they kept the same configuration of the older boards)
, maybe I can find something...

PMEmail Poster
Charlie T
Posted: November 29, 2016 03:45 pm

Member No.: 40,297

Hi Nilton,

I am new to this group, and having a problem with my HP 3580A.

It was working fine, until recently, when I accidentally left if powered on for a few days, and now there is no "trace" on the screen (well actually, you can seen something very, very vague, and wide on the screen, that resembles a trace).

I downloaded the manual on line, but it is totally unclear, and unreadable.

Would you have any trouble-shooting tips to share?

(I am not sure where to even begin...I was thinking the power supply, but again, no data on expected voltage readings)

Thank you,

Charlie T
PMEmail Poster
deth502
Posted: November 29, 2016 09:50 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 14,050

welcome chuck.

seeing as this thread is over a year and a half old and nilton hasnt made any other posts since, i doubt he will be answering you.

my first step would be to open it up and check teh electrolytic caps in the power supply.
PMEmail Poster
nilton
Posted: November 29, 2016 11:45 pm

Good evening to all friends that post messages about the HP3580A! I am still alive!

As long as nobody answers my question about A7 documentation, I'd searched the signals that enters the various points of that board (comparing with the other 3580A I repaired), and follow the tracks in the new A7 board, and found one ICīs that was not working correctly, replaced it, and the horizontal line finally appears in the screen (wow!).

Unfortunately the thing still was not functioning correctly, and I proceed with the next signal (following the signal on the "good" 3580A). Again, I found another IC defective in the A7 board! This time, at least the sweep was working, but...

Unfortunately, due to other activities (chiefly repair of other instruments), I suspended the repair work in my 3580A, and, since I did'nt get any messages from this forum, I put it aside, to continue later.

In the meantime, a friend of mine take the good 3580A I've fixed, and I am waiting that he brings me back the instrument to continue the job.

As soon as this happens, I intend to continue to try to repair this equipment.

Charlie T, I suggest that you follow the suggestion of deth502. It is possible that your problem can be in the power supply. Anyway, a good is to connect an external oscilloscope in X-Y mode, to X and Y analog signals available in the back of the instrument, to see if you can observe any signal generated by your 3580A. Obviously, at least to low voltages must be working in order the analog part of the instrument can be tested. Also, please inform the serial number of your 3580A, and I will try tho help you.
PMEmail Poster
nilton
Posted: November 30, 2016 02:40 pm

CharlieT

Searching the internet, I found the following link, that has an excellent copy in PDF format, perfectly readable schematics, serial 2030A, revised september 1980. I believe this was the last manual HP wrote about this instrument.

http://www.to-way.com/teqman/HP/3580A/3580A.pdf

There is another site (elektrotanya.com - link below) that has an even better scanned manual. os the same serial number, but the file size is bigger than 170 Mb. Is up to you to choose.

http://www.elektrotanya.com/hp_3580a.pdf/download.html

Hope this can help you, at least for now.
PMEmail Poster
deth502
Posted: December 01, 2016 02:43 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 14,050

thumbsup.gif nice contribution
PMEmail Poster
demarco
Posted: August 03, 2017 05:08 am

Member No.: 41,042

Hi Milton,
I found you had repaired hp3580a a7 board by replacing an ic. What ic is it? I found my a7 board is not working normal. No ramp in. No h sync out. No video in. No signal at tp1. I tried to find the problem but I can not find the problem. Could you please share your experience with me? Thank you.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force