Powered by Invision Power Board


Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Probability Theory, Riddle Me This
zaebis
Posted: February 05, 2013 08:04 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Jr. Member
***

Group: Trusted Members
Posts: 89
Member No.: 3,684
Joined: November 22, 2005




Ok I was told a story

A person comes out of the house. He is awaited by 3 independant assasins. One throws knives and kills with probability 40%. Another one is a sniper that also kills 40% of the times. The third one is a bomber that kills with probability of 20%.

What is the probability of that person to die? Is that the worst of the three (40% in this case ) or any other logic applies here???
PMEmail Poster
Top
Colt45
Posted: February 05, 2013 08:12 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Trusted Members
Posts: 4,399
Member No.: 1,333
Joined: October 02, 2004




I think you take the odd of each event failing, and multiply.

so 0.6 * 0.6 * 0.8 = 28.8% chance of surviving all three encounters.


...right?


--------------------
>]:::|-
PMEmail PosterICQ
Top
zaebis
Posted: February 05, 2013 08:17 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Jr. Member
***

Group: Trusted Members
Posts: 89
Member No.: 3,684
Joined: November 22, 2005




I thought that prob is distinct and separate in each case. So each one assasin has just as much a probability to kill alone as he is with 2 others. Sniper has no effect on the bomber and vice versa. That is my confusion
PMEmail Poster
Top
PIC
Posted: February 05, 2013 08:49 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Cleanup Taskforce
Posts: 1,093
Member No.: 6,662
Joined: October 08, 2006




As Colt said, you can rephrase it as

P(survive) = P(survive ninja) * P(survive sniper) * P(survive bomber)

i.e. you want the probably that all three events will all happen. Since they're independent, you just multiply the probabilities.

QUOTE (zaebis)
I thought that prob is distinct and separate in each case. So each one assasin has just as much a probability to kill alone as he is with 2 others. Sniper has no effect on the bomber and vice versa. That is my confusion


You're right. The probabilities are independent. That's why the general conditional probability formula

P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B|A) reduces to the simple multiplication used above:

P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B)

This post has been edited by PIC on February 05, 2013 09:01 pm
PM
Top
MacFromOK
Posted: February 06, 2013 01:32 am
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Posts: 15,167
Member No.: 5,314
Joined: June 04, 2006




QUOTE (zaebis @ February 05, 2013 01:17 pm)
I thought that prob is distinct and separate in each case.

It is if you consider just one case, but you're combining the three cases.

Also... something seems a bit hinky for a real world scenario. The sniper's success rate shouldn't be the only factor involved.

For example, say a sniper has 1 failure out of of 2 attempted kills, giving him a 50% success rate.

Now say your person coming out of the house was that 1 failure, giving him a survival rate of 100%.

Did the sniper or the victim cause the missed shot? Maybe the sniper just had an "off" day, or perhaps the victim moves erratically. Or there could have been an outside force (wind gust, etc.) contributing to the missed shot that might not be present next time (or it could be worse).

Now what? beer.gif


--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
Top
Sch3mat1c
Posted: February 06, 2013 05:01 am
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Posts: 20,521
Member No.: 73
Joined: July 24, 2002




Ignoring any conflating parameters (individual strategy, ambient air temperature, etc...), taking just the overall success rate, in general, for an unknown target, this is where the 40% comes in. thumbsup.gif

If we only know the sniper's accuracy from studying his records, then we only know that accuracy to as much -- accuracy -- as the sample size. If he's only ever taken two shots, and one missed, the error bars are about 100%. If he's taken 1000 shots and 397 hit, we have good confidence in that assessment. In general (i.e., for a normal distribution, on average, etc.), error goes as 1/sqrt(N), so for a sample size of 2, the error is something like +/-71%, while for the sample size of 1000, it's more like +/-3%. (To be even more precise, these errors should be evaluated with the appropriate confidence test -- a hit/miss situation is called a Bernoulli trial, which will have some particular test best suited to it -- I don't remember which one offhand though.)

Odd, cKy - Sniped just came up on the playlist.

Tim


--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Top
sherlock ohms
Posted: February 06, 2013 09:36 am
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Posts: 2,780
Member No.: 26,125
Joined: September 10, 2009




What if the sniper misses and inadvertently kills the ninja?.. unsure.gif


--------------------
"Quotation marks make sentences appear more meaningful."
PM
Top
deth502
Posted: February 06, 2013 12:10 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Trusted Members
Posts: 1,185
Member No.: 14,050
Joined: March 23, 2008




if your sniper is only hitting 40%, and your bomber is only 20%, i think the real issue here is that you need to start finding some better hit men than these rinky dink fly by night idiots that cant do their job right.
PMEmail Poster
Top
MacFromOK
Posted: February 06, 2013 01:12 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post


Forum Addict ++
*******

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Posts: 15,167
Member No.: 5,314
Joined: June 04, 2006




Hehe, yeah... you'd think he could beat 20% by throwing bricks. biggrin.gif


--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

 


:: support us ::




ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force