Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)!
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Arduino, arduino
nsfeliz
Posted: January 03, 2018 01:33 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 20,467

how do i burn an arduino bootloader into a blank atmega 328?
i wanna use the arduino to test my projects. but when im done i want to use the atmega
on its own independent circuit baord. when your done testing the program you dont realy
need all the mess on the arduino anymore.
PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: January 04, 2018 10:34 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 181

The easy way would probably be to use an Arduino Uno,since it has everything needed(Voltage regulator,USB-serial,crystal,etc.),and a DIP socket so you can remove the chip and use it in your project.

If you have some kind of suitable ISP programmer (I use a USBasp home-brew thing.) you can connect that up,and burn it that way. You can also use another Arduino as a programmer using the ArduinoISP sketch.
Go to Tools->Programmer,and pick the right one.
Then click "Burn Bootloader" just below that.

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
nsfeliz
Posted: January 05, 2018 08:55 am

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 20,467

thank you , hmm. this homebrew thing of yours , is it cheap?
theres lots of ideas around but i wanted a dutchforce opinion.
I dont plan to burn bootloaders often. so an cheap and ugly rig will do.

yeah, i noticed lots of arduino noobs use the WHOLE BOARD as a final version. It does
work, but its really ugly looking. and the usb chip becomes redundant eating power uselessly.
PMEmail Poster
JoOngle
Posted: January 05, 2018 01:49 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,818

QUOTE (nsfeliz @ January 05, 2018 08:55 am)
i noticed lots of arduino noobs use the WHOLE BOARD as a final version. It does work, but its really ugly looking. and the usb chip becomes redundant eating power uselessly.

Well, I'll have to disagree with you on several points there.

I use Arduino pretty extensively, especially to make prototypes to test out in real life scenarios. And together with a 3D printer - those boards are very useful and very nifty, and will work fine for years.

The USB is good for updating, for example - If I have a new improved version of my software, I'll use the USB port to upgrade the "firmware" for my prototype.

The Nano v3 boards are so small, that making my own board for these is completely unjustified, they don't take up a lot of space at all, just don't solder the "pins" that come with them, and you'll have a 3mm flat board that will almost fit in anywhere. My Weather Station I made a few years ago, still use the same old 9V battery...basically because it doesn't need a "soft-switch" to make the unit in stand-by all the time, so I just use it a few seconds at a time anyway, works like a treat - has a HUGE back-lit display too.

--------------------
If my soul was software, I could program myself and you.
PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: January 06, 2018 03:54 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 181

These programmers are so cheap now,I dunno if you could build one yourself,for less.

USBasp

Another option

I do agree with JoOngle though,using the whole module has its advantages,and some of the modules are so small,it's not usually a problem.(The Nano boards aren't much bigger than a DIP package chip,anyways.)
If you're going to program just the chip,and use it in your project,you'll need some extra support circuitry in your project,like a 16mhz crystal,the related loading capacitors,a voltage regulator (unless you already have a stable/clean 3.3V or 5V supply) Maybe a reset button, Perhaps break out the ISP and serial pins to a connector,in case you want to re-program it,or update the code in the future (without having to pull the chip out of your project,and put it back into an Arduino board to program it.) The boards already have all that stuff on there,which makes it a bit easier,just give it power,and it's ready to go. If you need to re-program it,just plug in the USB cable. Nothing else is needed.

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
crane550
Posted: January 12, 2018 07:42 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 2,878

I kinda like breaking out the chip onto a proto board instead of using the arudino. But thats really just my personality, I like doing things from scratch. (ish)

This should get you going.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

This is what I use:

https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp?view=all

I just put a 6 pin header right on my board.

--------------------
An expert on my own opinion.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force