Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)!
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Garage Sale Wars 2017
AwesomeMatt
Posted: September 12, 2017 09:00 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 9,878

Well, haven't really done much garagesaling the last year.

But... there was an estate sale on a farm I made it out to, and filled the van for $50.

Old fellow passed away, was a radio operator in WW2. Did electronics, machining, welding, fabricating, automotives, all kinds of stuff.

user posted image

Big one is a milspec power supply. It's at least a couple feet wide by a foot tall and a foot deep. Milton VA 400. Weighs 87lbs. Some kind of variac with 3 voltage selection. Hope it's not tube based. Has a giant heatsink on the right which is maybe just dumping from a linear stage?

Doesn't work.

Little one works I think.

user posted image

Couple boxes of 4mm sticks.

user posted image

Mop bucket full of pre-terminated maybe 8-10g red and black wiring. Will come in handy for battery wiring.

user posted image

Carbon Arc torch! I've been meaning to build one for like, 8 years, ever since Tekwiz first told me about them and built his own. Couldn't find any carbons but, that's a solveable problem.

user posted image

1 ton chain hoist, 3 ton comealong, retractable powercord, retractable other cord, and some kind of "balancer", which I think is to suspend tools above the workbench and is set to match their weight so they stay where you put them? That's my best guess.

user posted image

50 lbs of battery cable, with ends. Threw it in for free, they were going to throw it out.

user posted image

Pipe clamps. "Take as many as you want for $10." Then I let some fall over, and someone else decided he wanted to keep them with the ranch, but said I can keep the ones I already carried to the van. Well, still a good deal.

user posted image

Antique military green heater, world's prettiest chrome bathroom exhaust fan, pretty volt gauge and a rheostat.

user posted image

"How much for the chainsaw?", "We have chainsaws?", "3 of them in the hallway between the two shops.", "$20 for all 3.", "I definitely don't want all 3. I'll take the bigger one.", "Okay, $5."

user posted image

Not actual portholes but looks like that.

Also got a pair of antique diner swivel barstools. Some axes. Shovel. Other stuff.

Lady started adding it up but, as happens at estates sometimes, there's squabbling over who made the sale. One guy was unhappy with the lady and slapped me on the back as she was passing $60 and said "We'll just do the whole load for $50. Have a good one."

I left fields and fields full of things I might like some day but definitely don't need now. A dozen radios from around war time, all kinds of neat stuff.
PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: September 12, 2017 04:09 pm

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 40,300

"A dozen radios from around war time, all kinds of neat stuff."
My first transmitter was an arc 5. Took a bit of modifying, but thanks to the book "Understanding Amateur Radio" (UAR to the old timers lol) I got it running great. Wish I'd kept it!! The radio, I've since found a copy of UAR on ebay.
Charlie
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: September 12, 2017 07:04 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 5,314

Man, that's quite a haul for $50. Congrats! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force