Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
Pages:123 ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Going Nuts With Arduinos Part I, My little rant thread with pictures...
JoOngle
Posted: March 02, 2016 05:42 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,818

The kids at school is getting seriously interested too. biggrin.gif

So I might do some Arduino Specials in the future. We'll see.

--------------------
If my soul was software, I could program myself and you.
PMEmail Poster
dmg
Posted: March 03, 2016 12:58 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 36,860

i'd love that, there are simple things i would like to have on my machines.
like for instance, i got flowmeter and pressure meter built into my hidraulic drive train on one of my machnes, it would be quite nice to have set up a thingy like this to read digital output of those and show me how many horses it takes to operate that unit.
and other fancy stuff like that.
just for kicks i might be interested in figure out how it could be made.
sadly as usual there is not even a hint anywhere what those digital outputs are, but i guess it has to be flow and pressure, since it says so. but no pinout is available, manufacturer keeps it as a big secret. like the world would end if i could read those.
PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: March 20, 2016 01:39 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 181

Here's another guy on YouTube that I'd forgotten to mention,I just ran across his videos again. He does some really nifty stuff with microcontrollers.
Like encoding NTSC,and transmitting to a TV from an ESP8266:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcez5pcp55w

In other news,I have a "router" that I wanted to log into,and run some commands,without having to plug in an ethernet cable,and having something to SSH into it with. I wasn't sure how to do this..
Then it dawned on me..the router has a shell console on the serial port,and all I need to do is send the username,password,and command(s) I wanted to enter.
So I dug up a small Arduino 32U4 thing(kind of overkill),and banged up like 10 lines of code to have it poll a pin,to detect a button press... and if it does,then use the 32U4's serial pin to spit out the username,and wait couple seconds.. spit out the password,wait.. spit out the command,wait.. logout,etc.
I could probably get away with a 'smaller' microcontroller,maybe one of the ATtiny chips (and software serial),but this 32U4 module was handy,and a small size,so in that respect,it's perfect.

So,I connect the power,and the 32U4's serial TX pin to the routers serial RX pin...and push the button...Works perfectly! cool.gif

A week of pondering other ideas,and then when this one struck I had it finished in like 30 minutes. Arduino saves the day. I like it! smile.gif

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dmg
Posted: March 20, 2016 07:58 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 36,860

if it has wifi, why not use a..
smartphone ?

PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: March 21, 2016 04:54 pm

Forum Addict ++

That would seem to be the obvious choice,if there was Wifi available. I basically have a serial port,ethernet port,and maybe some GPIO to play with. I had considered adding an ESP8266 onto the serial port as an AP,and using a smartphone or whatever to connect to that.
But,then I realized I only really need to send it a couple strings of text,I don't even need to see the reply it sends back. Push a button,send some text,and voila! Just the ticket for this application.

--------------------
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
JoOngle
Posted: March 21, 2016 06:44 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,818

QUOTE (Nothing40 @ March 20, 2016 01:39 pm)
Here's another guy on YouTube that I'd forgotten to mention,I just ran across his videos again. He does some really nifty stuff with microcontrollers.
Like encoding NTSC,and transmitting to a TV from an ESP8266:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcez5pcp55w

That's fantastic! w00t.gif

A pity we live in a time where all TV signals now are 100% digital (at least in Scandinavia) so having any actual fun with this would well...be useless.

But I'm still impressed how this guy did this, fun stuff.

And the ESP8266 never ceases to amaze. What will they make it do next?
Or rather ...What will WE make it do next?

--------------------
If my soul was software, I could program myself and you.
PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: May 10, 2017 06:25 am

Forum Addict ++

Bump!

It just keeps getting better..
So,I've been playing with the Arduino "Over-The-Air programming" on the ESP8266..
This is super groovy. thumbsup.gif
After the initial (serial) programming,you don't even need to touch the ESP again if you want to reprogram it,you can just do it over WiFi,right from the IDE!

http://esp8266.github.io/Arduino/versions/...ta_updates.html

--------------------
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Nothing40
Posted: June 28, 2017 06:38 am

Forum Addict ++

Just wanted to add a note about my last post (above).
I've been pulling my remaining hair out all day,wondering why OTA programming no longer worked for me.
After much F*cking around,It appears that it Does Not Work in Arduino IDE 1.8.3.
I uninstalled the Arduino IDE 1.8.3,and reinstalled 1.8.2,added the ESP8266 boards manager package,and it appears to be working just dandy again.
(I also deleted the Arduino folder in MyDocuments (be sure to backup your sketches/libraries first!) and the Arduino15 folder in users/whatever/appdata/local,just to start with a completely clean slate.)

Moral of the story,if you have issues with this,Try Arduino 1.8.2. (Note to Future Self,and others.)

On a related subject,I've been playing with the ESP32 a bit. While it seems really cool,a lot of stuff isn't supported in the Arduino package for it,yet. (PWM,for one..Or much bluetooth,or wifi[see below].)

I've run into a problem,which seems like a dumb oversight (perhaps on my part,perhaps not)..
The ESP32 wifi library is named "WiFi.h",which is also the name of the 'default' Arduino wifi library.... (along with WiFiClient.h,WiFiServer.h,etc.etc.)

....guess which files the IDE pulls in and tries to use? doh.gif

Why they didn't name it "ESP32WiFi.h",or anything other than "WiFi.h" is beyond me.
I've tried moving/renaming/replacing the files,but I still can't get it to work. annoyed.gif
Maybe that is also an issue with IDE version 1.8.3.. I'll give it another shot...another day.

--------------------
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
cgriggs
Posted: June 28, 2017 09:44 am

Member No.: 40,300

Jo,
I took one look at your opening picture and said, "Yikes!" As a retired toolmaker that thinks in terms of, "all same size, square and parallel" I was shocked. LOL I'd have to put that on a pc! (Neat and orderly.) I believe that time will surely cure me of my "fuddy-duddy" thinking. I also know that if I gave it a try, I'd be addicted also. LOL
Charlie

PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: July 17, 2017 08:22 am

Forum Addict ++

Bit of an update on the ESP32,since I've been doing some basic fiddling with it this evening..
(Probably a bit scattered and rambly,since my brain is kind of fried after looking at code for hours.)

My Arduino IDE now manages to use the correct WiFi.h library,so that's nice. What changed to make that suddenly work,I don't know. (maybe 1.8.3 vs 1.8.2,again?)

There is some PWM output support,using ledcAnalogWrite.

Depending on which board/module you choose in the IDE,the "LED_BUILTIN" may or may not work,I guess depending on if your board/module has a built in LED or not.
(Doesn't work with the "ESP32 Dev Module" board selected,but does with the "WEMOS LOLIN32" one selected. Whatever,I just connected it to pin 5,and told it to use that pin.)
FWIW,Here's a pic of the module I'm using.. ESP32 module

OTA kinda sorta works,but seems to be kind of fiddly. Setting a password for it seems to be kind of broken. If I added the line of code to set a password,OTA just puked 99% of the time.
Also,it doesn't seem to like having too much delay(more than about 2 seconds,total) in the main loop,or else OTA just pukes,every time.

I had to fiddle with adding some delay after setting the WiFi.mode,and after the Wifi.begin,as it would fail to even connect to my router sometimes.
I think there's some kind of timing/timeout issues. Almost like it's trying to do things and/or expecting things too quickly? Perhaps it's my router.

Also,it seems that the PCB antenna design,RF front-end,or something,with the ESP32 isn't quite as good as the ESP8266? I can't always get a solid signal. Playing with the WiFi scan example,it seems kind of 'deaf' compared to an ESP8266. It only seems to see about half as many networks.
A bit of a Google search shows a couple other ESP32 modules with the capability to use an external antenna,so that might help. ("Widora" and "ESP32-WROVER" modules.)

It has a hall-effect sensor built into the chip,which I had heard rumors of,and there's now an example sketch to play with it. It seems to work okay. I noticed that if I touched certain pins,the reading would jump all over the place.

Still not much in the way of bluetooth examples,yet.There have been some other updates/additions since the last time I tried to play with it,so I suspect more support and refinement is coming.

Everything else I've played with so far seems to work okay. I'll probably play around some more some time soon-ish.

EDIT: One more note,Using the ESP8266 (And probably the ESP32 as well) with the OTA setup requires a stout power supply. With all the wifi activity during OTA upload,it needs a stable rail voltage.

--------------------
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages:123 Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force