Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Denon Amplifier Repair
s8n
Posted: September 08, 2017 07:51 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 10,343

hi members , i have a Denon audio amplifier that i bought back in 1999 and it has 2 bulging Caps. I want to replace them but not sure what to get , as it's a really nice amp i want to get quality Caps. I will attach a photo i took today of the originals that came with the amp.

Also i need sources to get them from , i'm in Australia btw but if i have to import that's cool.

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/905/RcxOiv.jpg

Ed: pic link

This post has been edited by Sch3mat1c on September 09, 2017 08:03 pm
PMEmail Poster
AwesomeMatt
Posted: September 08, 2017 06:09 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 9,878

Whooh nelly, shrink that image down to 1/4 of what it is.

General rule of thumb for capacitor replacement:
- Match the type (electrolytic)
- Match or exceed the voltage rating (71v)
- Match or, in some context exceed the capacitance (8200uF)

The voltage is a bit odd, you might end up saving some money if you went with a higher but more common voltage.

These should be available from really any retailer, jellybean parts so, pick whoever's cheapest to ship for you.
PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: September 09, 2017 02:40 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 181

You should be able to find something suitable from Mouser.com or Digikey.com

Maybe something from Mouser,like
This
Or
This
Or
This

Or from Digikey
This one
Or
This one
Or
This
Or
This

Or probably about a dozen other options.

Other than voltage and capacitance,some other things to match up are the pin spacing,(so they will fit into the holes in the PCB),and also a similar size (diameter,height) so that the new parts will physically fit into the space provided.

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
s8n
Posted: September 12, 2017 04:23 am

hehehe i thought i'd get in strife for the massive image. I just wanted to say thanks for the huge efforts from both of you it's appreciated. I'm going to check the pin spacing sometime in the next week and order after that. Btw i have cleaned the main PCB of dust and with the new caps this baby should last another 18 years.

thanks again guys thumbsup.gif
PMEmail Poster
s8n
Posted: September 13, 2017 10:39 am

hi members , in my last Thread i needed 2 new Caps which i was about to purchase next week. But today i fired up the Amp to play some Super Street Fighter IV and noticed something was very wrong with the Left channel.

i must say before this the Amp worked fine just needed 2 new Caps. So after taking a photo of the Caps needed i got out my Air Duster which runs on mains and blew out any dust and then cleaned the main PCB with Isopropyl and Q-Tips. So yeah today the Left channel crackles with bits and pieces of audio and if i remove the Left Audio jack and leave the Right in i get a loud humm.

i'm not sure what happened either the Air Duster killed the Left channel or the cleaning killed it , i should say i left the Amp to dry for about 2 days till i tried it. Also i did wear a Anti-Static wrist strap when using the Air Duster which i connected to the chassis of the Amplifier.

btw the Air Duster does have a sticker on it that says ' ESD '

i don't think it's fixable maybe maybe not , but i would like to know what happened so i can avoid this happening in my future projects.

chat soon
PMEmail Poster
damien
Posted: September 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 175

Topics merged.

Damien

--------------------
Wow you look quite normal for a geek.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Nothing40
Posted: September 14, 2017 06:21 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 181

So yeah today the Left channel crackles with bits and pieces of audio and if i remove the Left Audio jack and leave the Right in i get a loud humm.

My first thought is a possible bad connection on the input jack(s). Maybe try re-flowing the jack solder points on the PCB with some fresh solder. The hum with one channel/not the other suggests,to me,that one of the ground connections is bad on the jack(s).

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
s8n
Posted: September 16, 2017 08:23 am

hi matey , i have reflowed about 60-70 points on 2 of the PCB's inside the Denon. One is for Volume/Balance/Bass etc and the other is for the Inputs at the back of the Amp. Still unfortunately no change , i even pushed down on certain parts of these PCB's to see if i get a reaction and no changes.

i have also re-seated connectors without success..........
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: September 16, 2017 09:06 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 5,314

You may have more bad caps (I assume the others are original?). They don't always bulge when failing.

It's also possible that one of the new caps is defective. If all else fails, you could swap them out to see if the problem moves to the other channel. beer.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
s8n
Posted: September 18, 2017 07:18 am

hi Mac , i haven't changed the 2 bulging Caps yet i planned on getting them this week. But last week i gave the main PCB a clean and blow out with my Air Duster that runs off mains.

interestingly after this i have the Left Channel issue , i'm thinking the Air Duster killed the Left Channel or the cleaning did ?. I have used this Air Duster on both my PC's once and they run fine so i'm not sure if this Duster is to blame.

I am going to try and disassemble the Amp to get under the main PCB and reflow everything with my Iron. Maybe when cleaning i moved some components on the board a little to much and one has come loose.

btw this Amp is Denon PMA-1500R V1 , i paid $1300 AUS back in 1999.
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: September 18, 2017 09:45 pm

Forum Addict ++

Moving dust particles can create static electricity, though IMO there's a greater danger by body contact if you don't touch something earth-grounded frequently (or use an earth-grounded wrist strap). Nylon carpet is about the worst for charging your body.

Not sure I'd try to do much troubleshooting until you replace those bulging caps though, as moving/jarring them may have made things worse inside. beer.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

PMEmail Poster
s8n
Posted: September 19, 2017 07:58 am

roger that Mac , i'm going to place a order for the bulging Caps as requested. Btw i was outside when using the Duster and the Amp was on wood decking , i was using a Wrist Strap that was connected to the Amps chassis.
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: September 19, 2017 07:23 pm

Forum Addict ++

QUOTE (s8n @ September 19, 2017 01:58 am)
i was using a Wrist Strap that was connected to the Amps chassis.

Unless the cord was plugged in (3-prong plug where the chassis is earth-grounded), all that does is equalize the charge (if one exists) between your body and the chassis. It doesn't get rid of it.

--------------------
Mac *

PMEmail Poster
s8n
Posted: September 21, 2017 11:07 am

my Amp wasn't connected to the mains with a cable , so if there was a static discharge from the Air Blower.......the Amp wasn't grounded right and there may be static damage ?

btw , today i removed the 2 bulging Caps and ordered 2 new ones from Mouser
PMEmail Poster
johninmi
Posted: September 21, 2017 05:30 pm

Forum Addict

Member No.: 662

It's possible that, when you were cleaning the PCB with the alcohol and Q-tips, you might have moved some components or leads and broken or caused some lead(s) to touch another component lead or something it should not be touching.. Or, you might have loosened a solder connection, as you mentioned..While you're waiting for your new capacitors, you might do a close visual inspection of the areas you were working in. You might find something broken or disconnected..

Good luck..
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: September 21, 2017 08:57 pm

Forum Addict ++

QUOTE (s8n @ September 21, 2017 05:07 am)
my Amp wasn't connected to the mains with a cable ,  so if there was a static discharge from the Air Blower.......the Amp wasn't grounded right and there may be static damage ?

It's possible, but hopefully not. You being grounded (or not) may not have much effect either way on a charge created by moving dust particles anyway, but an earth-grounded case should help.

I wouldn't worry too much about it now (water under the bridge). Just see how it goes when you get the caps replaced, and go from there.

--------------------
Mac *

PMEmail Poster
s8n
Posted: September 22, 2017 06:04 am

thanks Mac for the words of encouragement your a top bloke
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force