Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mosfets, Static?
cgriggs
Posted: March 15, 2017 12:42 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 40,300

OK! My kit has 6 or 7 mosfets included. Also included in the instructions is a "static warning". Now it's panic button time! I'm hoping this doesn't mean an eight foot copper rod sledge hammered into the soil, a 40 foot lightning rod cable attached to that rod and the other end going to my all metal chair!!! Aarrgghh! All is lost!

Any advice other than instantly shipping it to a member of the group for safe keeping? LOL

It probably isn't too hard to guess I didn't work with mosfets in the early 90's!

Charlie
PMEmail Poster
Sch3mat1c
Posted: March 15, 2017 06:35 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 73

Static is about equalized voltages; there's no such thing as absolute grounding, anyway, and using common grounds is only a convenience (mainly for the people who do not yet understand this smile.gif ).

When working on a PC for example, touch the case (ground, as far as the circuit is concerned) before reaching inside.

Always touch a surface that can dissipate the charge safely. Don't reach inside and discharge to the CPU, right? So, for a circuit in progress, touch whatever is ground or shield or supply. Likewise, touch the soldering iron metal to keep it grounded (wait... soldering irons are hot... shock.gif devil.gif ), or better, use a grounded iron, and ground some other handy things too.

When you pick up loose components, they'll be in an antistatic bag of some sort. Touch the bag first, to equalize charge.

If the transistors are large, they may not be all that sensitive to ESD, but it's still a good idea to follow procedure. Small signal transistors, logic and RF chips can be quite sensitive, on account of their small features that are easily blown out by sparks.

Most parts aren't very sensitive anymore, these days, anyway, because of improvements since the 60s in energy dissipation of ESD diodes. They'll still be damaged by carelessly large sparks, but not usually from small ones you can't even feel. Just follow the simple procedure of touching grounds before touching components to them.

Tim

--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force