Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
Pages:123 ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Going Nuts With Arduinos Part I, My little rant thread with pictures...
Nothing40
Posted: January 07, 2016 04:07 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 181

Yea,in AP+STA mode it's kinda slow. I don't think I've had one lock up on me like that though.

Ahh,Digispark.. is that the one with the 32U4 on it? I haven't played with those yet.

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
JoOngle
Posted: January 07, 2016 04:36 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3,818

More loot came in my mailbox today after returning from the first workday of the year:

user posted image

Those are 10 x NRF24L01+ 2.4 GHz Transceivers.

And...10 x 3.3V 1A regulators commonly found on the Arduino Mega boards (hah Pat - I ordered these roughly 10 days before you said you commonly cooked yours laugh.gif Did anyone say intuition? tongue.gif )

@Pat, I think the ones on the Digispark Kickstarter are Attiny 85...

--------------------
If my soul was software, I could program myself and you.
PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: January 08, 2016 09:03 am

Forum Addict ++

I could never get those NRF modules to work right,with any of the Arduino sketches I tried for them. I got frustrated,and gave up..and then along came the ESP8266!
Let me know how you make out with those,I'd be interested in using them for a couple things.

--------------------
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
JoOngle
Posted: January 12, 2016 05:33 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Aaaaaand lookie what arrived today:

The usual Nanos, 2 x batch came exceptionally late...but better late than never.
Something I'm beginning to notice about the various batches of Nanos I've recieved is that they all seem to come from the same factory production. Even the silkscreening have the same print bugs no matter who I order these from, nevertheless - I've yet to come across one that doesn't work:

http://i.imgur.com/dDJsxyg.jpg

And now for the exciting stuff: The NEW ESP's...
One of them is the infamous ESP-12F that's supposed to be a high power version of ESP-12E,
the other one is the mysterious ESP-14 no one seems to know much about yet, except a lot of people suspect that it's a cost-reduced version with an 8 Bit processor instead of the previous powerful modules, so it's not sure it's an upgrade at all:

user posted image

Super precision accelerometer and some compass magnetometers:

user posted image

Analogue accelerometers, thought these might come in handy for those simpler to code for experiments plus maybe even MCU free experiments...

user posted image

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
kellys_eye
Posted: January 12, 2016 09:18 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 2,735

Those accelerometers intrigue me.

I had the usual techie thoughts about them when they first came on the market. It was in relation to marine navigation equipment, specifically autopilots.

Marine kit is very expensive (unnecessarily so in my opinion) and I was going to look into developing a package of items that could be used to replace existing stuff (usually those pieces manufactured by the likes of Raymarine).

Digital compass, autopilot, wind speed, log speed and GPS are the main units used onboard yachts. In particular a decent CHEAP autopilot is almost impossible to obtain but a combination of accelerometer, GPS and compass would make something substantially better than existing stuff.

Dropping the manufacturers proprietory comms protocols would also make it open access for developers and using e-paper screens makes them greatly viewable in daylight conditions.

As usual it remains a pie-in-the-sky idea but I still think it could grow legs!

--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
JoOngle
Posted: January 12, 2016 11:14 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (kellys_eye @ January 12, 2016 09:18 pm)
Marine kit is very expensive (unnecessarily so in my opinion) and I was going to look into developing a package of items that could be used to replace existing stuff (usually those pieces manufactured by the likes of Raymarine).

......As usual it remains a pie-in-the-sky idea but I still think it could grow legs!

Well, that starts with YOU. tongue.gif
If I don't remember entirely wrong, you and the missus was talking about living a bit out there on the sea, or at least having a business involving being on a boat, so I can imagine you'd love to have someone come up with a solution you could use there. rolleyes.gif Well, no excuses - maybe that's worth pursuing BEFORE your radio projects since it's actually closer to something you can use for your business?

Anyway... Update: Testing Analogue Accelerometers.

I've tested the Analogue accelerometers now, and I took a chance and just made some code without any easy to steal already made libraries or code - wonderful - they are just as easy as predicted to use. They simply just emit some voltages rising or declining depending on the X,Y and Z position. I found X and Y to be most useful for "Tilt Sensing", that worked straight out of the box and I had my little Arduino Nano send some messages to me depending on the angle of the breadboard held in my hand laugh.gif - worked on the first try, they're that easy to use.

In fact - we could probably use those without an MCU since they essentially just output analogue signals which we can pretty much use for whatever we think of. Cheap and straightforward stuff to use. I suspect they're not terribly accurate though. But fun!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
kellys_eye
Posted: January 13, 2016 12:43 am

Forum Addict ++

laugh.gif Well the plan to have a boat and sail around the West Coast of Scotland is still on but that's now more of a personal thing than a business. I did think of servicing marine electronics 'on the hoof' so to speak but we're at a time of life when leisure takes prescedence!

Any boat we buy would probably have the equipment already fitted so a make-work exercise wouldn't appeal - I'll have enough to do keeping the existing stuff running!

Yes, I'd love to do it as a simple exercise in possibilities but despite having a relaxed lifestyle I still have a lot on my plate with existing projects.

--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
JoOngle
Posted: January 13, 2016 07:20 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Today’s haul:

user posted image

5 x FM - Stereo modules / RDS - Radio Data supported. These are insanely small, I gotta make some special sockets for these, I got some wire wrap sockets that I can "bend to fit" these so they become more breadboard friendly.

2 x STM32F103C8 devboards (some sort of Maple clone).

The future of Arduino Nano? I don't know. I've been experimenting with these for HOURS and to no avail so far, there's a lot of "unofficial" software for these on the net, I've tried one for my Arduino Sketch IDE and so far - no workie :/ It's kinda exciting though - 3$ 32 bit Arduino Arm CortexM3 processor 72 Mhz with 12 bit ADC and 16 Bit PWM. Drool....

...that is...if I can get the little buggers to work. wacko.gif

Mega Sensor Shield.

This is a shield (I/O) Expander to make connecting stuff to the Arduino MEGA R3 a little easier. I'm sure Pat knows this one?

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: January 14, 2016 02:21 pm

Forum Addict ++

Nope,not familiar with it. I don't usually use a lot of shields. A lot of stuff is on perfboard,since it's all custom/specific hardware..usually for battery-related stuff. smile.gif

I picked up one of those little radio modules too,thinking it was a transmitter...would help if I read the product description. rolleyes.gif Like a kid in a candy store,I tell ya. "Ohh! Gimme!....okay,what is it?" LOL

--------------------
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
JoOngle
Posted: January 15, 2016 02:55 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Todays haul...

user posted image

3 x Arduino Nano V 3.0
with Green-Red-Green-Red leds and they came readily assembled (albeit I prefer to assemble the pins myself as I usually do a better job of it tongue.gif )

Insanely cheap, LESS than 2 bucks each - INCLUDING SHIPPING AND USB CABLES! How do they do it...?

2 x Encoder wheels.
Think I paid roughly 1.5$ for both of these. Looks like they're really high quality too.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
kellys_eye
Posted: January 15, 2016 04:50 pm

Forum Addict ++

laugh.gif

I have a similar problem with USB leads with my external 1Tb HDD. The lead it comes with is so short it means I have to balance the HDD on the keyboard when it's plugged into the USB socket on the lappy.

The lead is also so stiff you can only place the HDD where the lead WANTS it to be laugh.gif A real PITA.

I'd use a different lead (longer, more flexible etc) except they've got some stupid proprietory plug/socket on the HDD end mad.gif

You'll have to nail those Arduino boards to the table!

Mind you, your collection is very impressive! Like you I have no idea how they can do it so cheaply too - maybe the Chinese economy is THAT bad they have no choice????

--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
kellys_eye
Posted: January 15, 2016 05:12 pm

Forum Addict ++

What are those encoders like? I use a few in the course of my experiments, the latest being a DDS synthesizer.

My encoders have all come from ex-equipment (I think I showed some pictures on here a while ago - a dismantled video edit-controller) and I prefer those with a decent resolution.

Those small ones give the 'impression' that they might not have much in the way of longevity dunno.gif

Do they have the 'press-to-select' indent?

--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
JoOngle
Posted: January 15, 2016 05:54 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (kellys_eye @ January 15, 2016 05:12 pm)
Those small ones give the 'impression' that they might not have much in the way of longevity dunno.gif

Do they have the 'press-to-select' indent?

Yes, they do have the extra press-to-select button functionality, actually Dave...I was unaware of this until you mentioned it laugh.gif .

As for longevity, no clue, but the chassis seem to be thicker than a millimetre, and their tactile feedback feels absolutely wonderful when "tuning".

I'm going to test the FM radio RDS modules today, so I'll throw one of these rotary encoders into the equation for testing purposes as well. Keep your eyes on the look out for a separate Arduino Radio Post!

*Edit*

OMG this is nuts, I already have the radio module up and running! blink.gif w00t.gif

I'm just going to have to figure out all the functions and figure out how to use that Encoder Wheel.
Expect a new Radio Thread very soon!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
JoOngle
Posted: January 26, 2016 03:18 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

THE ** MOTHER ** LOAD of Arduino stuff just came in:

user posted image

laugh.gif

Not sure I even dare show these mega hauls anymore. Anyway here they are, as you can see there's LOADS of ESP-12 and siblings. I'm kinda paranoid that these are going to cost a LOT in the future since they contain a hefty MCU, the new ESP-14 Has reverted to a much cheaper 8-bit processor because AI-Thinker is trying to save $$, so I'm stocking up on these while some Chinese still have them for 2 dollars each.

5 x Arduino Nano (remarkably solid little buggers, can't get enough of these. I suspect I'm soon going to have an ENTIRE Raaco shelf filled with these.

6 x 3.3v / 5.0v PSU adapter, these are fantastic for the price, comes with TWO regulators and fits the breadboards perfectly as you can see, have jumpers for how you want to set up the rails, can use USB PSU's as well as the usual 6-12v jack. LESS than a dollar each, almost the same price as a 3.3v regulator. Crazy. The print quality on these are nothing but amazing. Top notch stuff.

2 x 1602 LCD module adapters.

RFID Card/Tag reader + Card + Tag.

2 x Motor controllers.

2 x Clock modules with 3v Lithium Battery holder. Dirt cheap. 1.5 bucks for 2.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
AwesomeMatt
Posted: January 29, 2016 03:20 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 9,878

I'm going to do a group-buy on some ESP8266s soon here for the guys I think. But never having used a microcontroller (keep putting it off), I don't know what I'm likely to need for general projects.

Also, since you're fingerbanging the buy button lately, apparently Arduino is crap and inferior in every way to the Teensy.
PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: January 29, 2016 05:46 am

Forum Addict ++

QUOTE (AwesomeMatt @ January 28, 2016 07:20 pm)
I'm going to do a group-buy on some ESP8266s soon here for the guys I think. But never having used a microcontroller (keep putting it off), I don't know what I'm likely to need for general projects.

Also, since you're fingerbanging the buy button lately, apparently Arduino is crap and inferior in every way to the Teensy.

Except when you need more I/O pins. That's when I bust out the Mega2560.

--------------------
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
JoOngle
Posted: January 29, 2016 03:46 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (AwesomeMatt @ January 29, 2016 03:20 am)

Where is this coming from?

You can't compare the Teensy to the Arduino Nano as they're two entirely different units, for example - the latest Teensy 3.1/3.2 is a 72MHz processor and costs like 30-40$, while the Arduino Nano is a 16MHz processor and costs 2$

You can't compare these two.

the 2$ Nano is insanely useful for what it can do. It's not super speedy, but it got loads of I/O and most applications (unless you're coding video games) works fine at that speed. It can be the core of Radios/Alarm systems/Gadgets and whatnot, and when the Teensy comes down to that price level, I'll be "fingerbanging" the buy button on that one as well.

Right now - the ESP-12 is our new "super Nano" with almost 80MHz of processing capability as well as onboard WiFi. But it's got some limitations compared to the Nano, it's not so straight forward to just plug in any experiment, it's a bit fidgedy when it comes to programming - and it's only 3.3v compatible which leaves out TONS of my component stash. But for the price, it'll beat Teensy any day.

There's a new "Teensy/Maple" clone for around 3-4$ though, but I've yet to get those up and running with Arduino (working on it)...

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
AwesomeMatt
Posted: January 30, 2016 08:47 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 9,878

Where is this coming from?

Just general shop talk. I lack context, anything Arduino is the same to me, but, regularly I hear that for cheaper and better, just use a Teensy. It's probably some specific model.

Right now - the ESP-12 is our new "super Nano"

So if I'm buying a batch of ESP8266s, that's what I should look at?
PMEmail Poster
JoOngle
Posted: January 30, 2016 05:23 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (AwesomeMatt @ January 30, 2016 08:47 am)
So if I'm buying a batch of ESP8266s, that's what I should look at?

If you check out the Wikipedia page of the various ESP chips, you'll be able to make an informed decision: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP8266

I went with the 12E as they where super cheap, usually 2$ each, have plenty of processing power and all that I'll need for now.

Just be aware of - if you're starting out with microcontrollers, the ESP series is probably not the best starter experience for you (I'd never start with this chip, I'd go the easy route first). The ESP wasn't really made for experimentation, it was made to be a cheap WIFI module to enable cheaper WIFI connected gadgets such as light bulbs, coffee machines etc. to become connected devices within a reasonable price for the end customer.

They're very sensitive, the Analog input is only 1v (in comparison to the Nano that has 5v compatible inputs), and all of its I/O ports are sensitive 3.3v ports you don't want to abuse too much. The Nano can literally handle all you throw at it as it's dual voltage level compatible 3.3v and 5v (afaik).

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
JoOngle
Posted: January 30, 2016 05:27 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (AwesomeMatt @ January 30, 2016 08:47 am)
Just general shop talk. I lack context, anything Arduino is the same to me, but, regularly I hear that for cheaper and better, just use a Teensy. It's probably some specific model.

You probably picked that up from someone who's into GENUINE Arduinos and GENUINE Teensy. For that...it's actually cheaper to go with a Teensy.

But AFAIK, Teensy isn't so common yet that the Chinese have made gazillion copies of it, so it's not sold as a 2$ clone to a 20$ product as Arduino is. The Arduino clones are 100% legal, and the Chinese actually did a heck of a job making a super solid product available for a fraction of the original price. That's why I love them so much.

If not, I'd probably not even be using the Teensy - but my old 87c51 MCU's that I still have a S***LOAD of, they're no where near as feature filled as the Teensy OR even the Arduino Nano, but they'll still get the job done. The price tag of 2$ plug-and-program without anything extra hassle, built in Analog and PWM input/outputs is what makes those Nanos so attractive to me.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
JoOngle
Posted: February 02, 2016 10:06 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Ok, a TFT 1.44" display just landed (amongst 10x Arduino Nanos) in my mailbox and of course I had to test it right away:

user posted image

Hm...the first row I seem to be unable to address...it seems to be bypassing the library settings....

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
JoOngle
Posted: February 04, 2016 02:42 am

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Problem solved!

Interestingly enough, Googling this like mad didn't yield any true results, what's even more interesting is that when I finally decided to bite the sour apple by going trough the LCD driver code myself, I stumbled upon some interesting notes from the developer. He wrote that he bought a really cheap but efficient display that turned out to be the fastest he'd ever seen for the lowest price ever, but there was a slight catch, and that was that the display was off - so he had to offset it by 32 pixels somehow. So he had set the library offset to default at 32 as he had a display like that (well, maybe not exactly word for word like that, but that's how I remembered it laugh.gif )

So if any of you readers Googled - and find my thread here, the solution is going manually into the TFT_ILI9163C_settings.h file and change the #define __offset to 0 instead of 32.

I suspect this is because I have a more recent version of his display. I'm going to purchase more of these displays as they are the bees knees and incredibly cheap. Almost the same price as the Black and White Nokia displays, uses only 3 to 4 pins and is generally just an awesome little 1.44" screen that literally uses up no space at all.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
JoOngle
Posted: February 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Seriously guys... this is TOO much fun, see this thing? It took MINUTES to set up:

user posted image

I found a source on eBay for these amazing TFT modules for around 3$ each, that's so cheap you can say goodbye to the average 2 line x 16 character hitachi 44xxx compatible displays, this one will do it with the same amount of memory usage, easy as ...crazy easy...graphics to boot, and DAVE? For the LOVE of anything good...you excuse yourself with your SW/tranceiver project taking up most of your time? DUH! You should be using these things IN your projects, there's no excuse - go for it, when I say I am literally just using minutes to do this I'M NOT KIDDING - these things are CHILDSPLAY and they're SO much fun!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
JoOngle
Posted: February 29, 2016 07:44 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

And the latest Electronics Show #3 with AURDUINOS! smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38NgUK0vm1I

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
dmg
Posted: March 01, 2016 10:48 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 36,860

subscribed, keep it up, it may get me interested too biggrin.gif
for some unknown reason shipping prices to my place would be alone past 20 usd...
lunacy , to be honest.
and after my last electronics order i'm not even sure what would it yield if i would order microcontrollers biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages:123 Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force