Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Vfd? Inverter? Small Dc Sinusoidal 3 Phase Needed., How to drive a small 3 phase motor.
GordonFreeman
Posted: January 19, 2017 09:38 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 3,205

Hello,

I think I need a small inverter or VFD for controlling a direct drive wheel motor. 10+ years ago, somebody did a real size BMW mini with 4 wheel motors and I'd like to try it in 1/10 scale.

This is for a small (1/10 scale) RC car. Ultimately it would have 4 wheel drive with 1 motor in each corner directly driving each wheel. And 4 ESCs.

I can buy, modify or build from scratch the motor, whether it be a PM brushless or induction motor.

Conventional hobby grade ESCs just don't work very well in the application. I've experimented with brushless outrunners and conventional sensorless ESCs and have had some luck, but starting from a stop is a big problem.

Also adding hall sensors to a conventional PM brushless outrunner and using a conventional RC car sensored ESC might be an option.

I think I just need to find/buy/build a DC to variable frequency 3 phase inverter. For experimenting, a somewhat large inverter would be ok, but ultimately I would like it be not much bigger or heavier than a conventional 1/10 ESC, maybe 30x40x20 at no more than 100 g.

Power range for concept testing would be 200 to 500 watts (for a single motor) Typical volts in hobby RC is from 8-20 DC volts, but could be anything.

I'm not an electronics expert, I understand basic stuff and can solder and even make PCBs if needed.

Ideas?

Thanks
PMEmail Poster
kellys_eye
Posted: January 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 2,735

I can't recall the device part number (may get back to you with it as I have a couple of boards with them fitted in my scrap bin) but check out the motors used in larger laser printers. These are 3-phase and the driver boards should be readily adaptable to use with other forms of motor or even as a post-drive driver of external boost components for bigger motors.

--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
kellys_eye
Posted: January 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 2,735

OK, after checking I found the motor board (with motor attached) that came from (IIRC) a Laserjet4A printer.

There is a motor control pre-driver chip uPDC1246C and an MP6403 motor driver device.

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/...C/UPC1246C.html (control)
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/...IBA/MP6403.html (driver)

Obviously there will be more modern units available but the datasheets will give you insight into how they approach this driver situation.

--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force