Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cnc Router Suggestions
TESLA
Posted: December 28, 2016 04:48 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 40,319

Hi
was wondering if anyone could suggest a CNC router for making PCBs. or ones to stay away from. My circuit layout software produces Gerber and Excellon drill files
The author of the layout software says I need a G code translator for most of the cnc routers nowadays . would like a usb interface, any other suggestions welcomed. oh yeah I forgot, I am on a budget so I am thinking around $500 or less, maybe slightly more.
PMEmail Poster
kellys_eye
Posted: December 28, 2016 12:04 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 2,735

Would you consider building one?

The CNC market is now as complex as that for 3D printing in terms of devices, models, capabilities etc so recommendations may be as individual as the machines themselves.

You will have your own list of requirements for the machine - other than a capability to make pcbs of course laugh.gif - which ALL CNCs should be able to do (if they have the appropriate repeatability accuracy on both axis).

Building you own means you get what YOU want with the option of upgrading at any time of choosing.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a CNC for routing pcbs as having them manufactured by a professional company is so cheap these days - even using the laser printer method and etching your own would be easier.

--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
TESLA
Posted: January 06, 2017 04:52 am

Group: Members+
Member No.: 40,319

yeah my first circuit layout software could only generate the first version of GERBER which was for plotters only, I had a software app called FPLOT that converted the pen plot to a laser printer, I don't think there were any inkjets at that time. Not sure I want to have the ferric chloride , pre-sensitized PCB , the black lights, ...etc again, also with the laser/etching the resolution is not quite that good unless there has been improvements.
PMEmail Poster
kellys_eye
Posted: January 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 2,735

Any PCB requiring higher resolution than you can do using the laser/iron/etch method really needs to be made professionally.

As already mentioned, the costs are so low that any other method isn't really worth it.

--------------------
May contain nuts
PMEmail PosterYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force