Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> A Way To Get Most Commonly Used Parts In Pcbs
centaurus
Posted: July 01, 2015 04:09 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 39,838

Seems like there is no real standard for basic things like 10k resistors or 10pF capacitors. Wouldn't it really simplify things if we all agreed on a common manufacturer/standard for these and hence fix the foot-prints.
Came across Octopart's Common Parts Library, where they are trying to accumulate commonly used components in PCBs.

Any ideas on what the community can do to standardize this process?

This post has been edited by centaurus on July 01, 2015 04:59 pm
PMEmail Poster
Sch3mat1c
Posted: July 01, 2015 05:09 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 73

They do. It's called IPC (the PCB standards organization).

Good luck getting a community of bumbling amateurs to follow it, though...

Specifically, that's IPC-2221 for THT and general construction, and IPC-7351 for SMT (which supersedes an older, more complicated one which is still followed by some).

Obviously there's no standard for library formats across EDA tools, nor is there consistency in how they are/should be managed. Some include all the data (ordering info, etc.) in the library part, and have a billion individual entries for each variant in the series (chip resistors, 1/8W 5% 0805, 1.0k, 1.1k, 1.2k, ..). Or they leave a few generic parts and let the data be assigned in the schematic by the user. Some tools don't even provide basic BOM handling; others provide complete tracking of part numbers, stocking, cost, etc.

I suppose the best way to make a community standard is to meme-ify the correct process. And to emphasize that all reviews should be in relation to correctness, relative to the usability and (IPC based) validity of the item.

If you have people throwing around upvotes because they used a footprint, you're inevitably going to get piles of crap, that are popular for popularity's sake alone and without relation to anything at all (like, say, actual usability, appearance, correct layers, etc.).

I have no idea if any of the "maker" communities have anything like this going on. I suppose CircuitMaker will be the most interesting to watch, and see if it follows a good or bad pattern.

Tim

--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
centaurus
Posted: July 01, 2015 08:39 pm

Seems like it is quite expensive to download the kits for IPC standards. Do people even download and use these standards?

Exactly! It seems like there are millions of resistors and everyone is using different ones, for example 3.3k and 3.32k are both widely available. I guess the best way is to definitely not outsource this to people but instead look at all the parameters which you are talking about to build a library.

Seems like SnapEDA is actually giving footprints for Eagle, KiCad and Altium for the Common Parts Library which is an awesome thing I guess. But definitely its hard to get people to follow it for sure.
CircuitMaker is definitely interesting. Upverter is also coming up.

This post has been edited by centaurus on July 01, 2015 08:39 pm
PMEmail Poster
Sch3mat1c
Posted: July 01, 2015 08:58 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Professionals do. I have a copy of the above standards within arm's reach at one job.

You can find relevant info (or possibly illegal downloads) online, so it's not hard to work close to the standards.

Tim

--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
centaurus
Posted: July 01, 2015 09:18 pm

Oh thats cool.
As a professional, what software tool have you found which has best support for common components?
Do you use online tools or offline software packages?

Thanks.
PMEmail Poster
Sch3mat1c
Posted: July 02, 2015 03:26 am

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Well, I just make my own parts in Altium. I keep very good parts, if I do say so myself. I've never seen good libraries from users (not that Altium has much of a user community, being mostly professionals) or companies (including Altium themselves, at least the older ones).

Tim

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force