Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
Pages:12 ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How to build ultrasonic anti-barking device?
Tuco
Posted: May 01, 2007 12:15 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 9,316

[If I'm not in the right sub-forum please advise]

My neighbor's dogs (on three sides) are driving me nuts! Uncontrolled loud barking anytime day or night. They think it's normal . . . hey, dogs will be dogs, right? No way!!!

We're talking lost sleep, noise pollution, and depressed property values.

I want to build an industrial-strength ultrasonic anti-barking device. Not like the wimpy plastic things that are sold on the Web, but a real piece of gear that will stand up to the weather, is mains-powered, and will work out to distances of say, 200 feet.

My understanding it must be capable of working in the 20,000 - 50,000 Hz range (or maybe even a little higher). And of course, must have some sort of bark-detecting circuit, and a amplifier / transducer to emit the ultrasonic signal. I don't know what settings are best (and it may vary with the dog), so ideally, there should be controls to tune the device (volume, frequency, duration, etc.).

I'm willing to spend whatever it takes in parts. And I'll pay for some consulting time too if necessary. By the way, I have a fair amount of audio and recording gear, some of which could possibly be re-cycled for this project, however I don't have any experience building electronic circuits. But trust me, I'm very motivated to learn!

Can your tell me how to go about building this project? I would welcome email contact or a phone call. Thanks!

PMEmail Poster
Nothing40
Posted: May 01, 2007 04:12 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 181

Hum..
Well,the way I've gone about it in the past was a 555 timer (with a pot to fine-tune the frequency),a HOT from an old TV set,and a Motorola piezo horn,all powered from a 9V battery.

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
tekwiz
Posted: May 01, 2007 06:39 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,746

Search this forum, we just had a major discussion on this topic a week or so ago. Basically what yopu want is a high powered ultrasonic siren feeding a bank of piezo tweeters. You might start here:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=...n+field&spell=1
Lots of circuits & projects. cool.gif

BTW: Welcome to the forum. I feel for you, I cannot abide yapping mutts either.

--------------------
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair, than the sage among his books.
For to you, kings & armies are things mighty & enduring.
To him, mere toys of the moment, to be overturned at the flick of a finger.

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
Tuco
Posted: May 27, 2007 11:19 pm

Member No.: 9,316

Thanks! (sorry for the delay, been on vacation)

I'm pawing through the links and forum now . . . will post again when I get a preliminary direction on this project.

I've worked with studio and live recording equipment for a while, so I'm familiar with basic audio concepts, but have not attempted to build my own devices. (OK, there was that Heathkit amplifier in 1972 ;-)

Is anyone on this forum willing to build the circuit?

These dogs are a daily headache. Wouldn't mind teaming up with somebody on this. I'm happy to buy the parts, contribute to the discussion, post the results, etc., but probably need help on actual build-out.

PMEmail Poster
Faraday's Cage
Posted: May 28, 2007 12:41 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Cleanup Taskforce
Member No.: 7,707

nope, its an unwritten forum rule that our help is DESIGN ONLY. Period. No exceptions. Zero. Nada. Ain'tgunnahappen (one word).
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: May 28, 2007 02:04 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 5,314

If you can handle a soldering iron, it won't be that complicated. And you can get all the help you'll need here on the circuitry.

Just try to find a basic design that you somewhat understand (or at least can identify most of the parts). wink.gif

Mac

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
Dustygirl01
Posted: June 07, 2010 05:34 pm

Member No.: 29,689

I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering how the project turned out?

My neighbors have 5 dogs that bark nonstop for about 16 hours a day. These dogs are totally insane. I spoke to the neighbors about it a long time ago, and they said they'd try some things...then they told me that nothing worked, and that I would just have to deal with it. THEN, they built kennels on the side of their shed that faces MY HOUSE (not theirs). I've basically just started screaming at them to shut their freaking dogs up. This, in turn, makes them scream back at me...Not working too well. The really sad thing is, they've been to my house and heard their dogs barking, and my stupid neighbor actually said, "Oh my God, that's AWFUL! How do you stand that?" DUH!

My township DOES have a barking ordinance, but they won't do anything to enforce it. I have to press charges and take these people to court, and HOPE the judge rules in my favor. I really do not want to take my neighbor to court. But, they're being just totally ignorant. My neighbor is also the local veterinarian - and they will probably find a way to get around the barking ordinance...saying he's zoned to have lots of animals over there that make lots of noise (he's a large animal vet, and these are his personal dogs).

I would LOVE to find someone to build me a super-strength ultra sonic anti barking device so I could blast these stupid dogs when they bark. Any suggestions on where to find someone who could do this? Where to advertise, etc? I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm a single woman who lives with my child...and my neighbors know they can basically be assholes towards me and intimidate me.
PMEmail Poster
Roccivic
Posted: June 07, 2010 07:04 pm

Group Icon

Member No.: 7,882

Ultrasound will probably drive your children nuts, too. You probably won't hear it, but they will!

What about those collars that electrocute the dog when he barks? You'll have to convince the neighbors to try them. I heard that these devices are very effective.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=bark+collar

Peace, Rouslan
PM
MacFromOK
Posted: June 07, 2010 09:19 pm

Forum Addict ++

If you make the circuit only trigger on loud noise (i.e. when the dogs bark), it shouldn't bother kids any more than the barking does (unless they're near the output speakers).

You'd want to do this anyway, because even though you can't "hear" the sound, it can still give you a splitting headache at high volume levels in a few minutes (and probably damage hearing in longer doses).

At any rate, even kids can't hear the higher frequencies that dogs can. beer.gif

QUOTE (Faraday's Cage @ May 27, 2007 06:41 pm)
nope, its an unwritten forum rule that our help is DESIGN ONLY. Period. No exceptions. Zero. Nada. Ain'tgunnahappen (one word).

This is absolute nonsense. Members are certainly free to help (and/or contract) other members in any lawful manner that is agreeable to both parties. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

PMEmail Poster
telomere
Posted: June 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 9,502

QUOTE (Tuco @ May 27, 2007 03:19 pm)
These dogs are a daily headache.

You do realize that if you just start blasting ultrasonics on a continual basis, you're just going to agitate the dogs more... and make them more of a nuisance, right?

--------------------
"Sometimes I can't tell the difference between thinking and being quiet, but I'll try."
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: June 07, 2010 11:55 pm

Forum Addict ++

On the other hand, they'd probably go stone deaf eventually (along with everyone nearby).

Ya gotta admit barking would no longer be a problem though... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mac *

PMEmail Poster
Dustygirl01
Posted: June 08, 2010 12:57 am

Those shock collars are great. I have one for my German Shepherd and he never makes a peep. It really pisses me off that he has to obey the law but the morons next door to me have their dogs yapping nonstop. I got one for my Shepherd so they couldn't come back and say, "Well...YOUR dog barks too..."

My neighbor DID try one of those shock collars for the dogs that were the worst offenders. The problem was when one of the OTHER dogs barked, the dog with the collar would still get shocked, even though it didn't bark. She said it wasn't fair. That's when she told me I'd have to deal with it. She needs to just get FIVE freaking anti-bark collars, but I guess they think they're "cruel". yeah...better to let the humans suffer.

Let me tell ya. I work my ass off all day painting houses and when I get home I am freaking exhausted. All I want is 5 minutes to sit down and relax, chat with my son and regroup. I'm a single mother, on top of it all. I'm going to end up kicking this bitches ass in court.

I'm also considering letting my 14 y.o. ride a dirt bike nonstop back and forth along the property line to torment the dogs. Maybe then the owners will get a clue and take the dogs inside. Of course, I'll probably get slapped with a fine....
PMEmail Poster
CWB
Posted: June 08, 2010 01:14 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 15,154

two wrongs do not make a right .

at first thought i would use about 180 grains of lead inserted just behind the ear at about 1200 FPS . dry.gif
a bit messy , but effective .

on second thought ... even though the gal is a vet this does not place her above the law . most ordinances include words to the effect of "disruptive , invasive , excessive , damaging or other actions that disturb the domiciles and/or privacy of others ..." .

if they did let her off the hook ... can we say "collusion" ?

the gal is a selfish ego-centric jerk or a complete moron .
the gal has failed to listen to reason ... you have tried ... you can show a track record of this .
you will need to go in swinging a big bat like you are going to take her head off'n her shoulders .
witnesses are good to have .
a log of the times and periods of barking .
get a decent lawyer (maybe even from out of town) .
call the state or county about the matter too .

--------------------
"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
R. Feynman '88
PM
Dustygirl01
Posted: June 08, 2010 02:09 am

It's her husband who is the vet. She's a spoiled little bitch who has never had to work a day in her life. She gets whatever she wants handed to her, and has to have a new puppy every two years to put out in the kennels to yap all day. Her husband has rolled over and died and just lets her have her way. She used to play with the dogs all day, do dog agility with them, show them, etc. because she said they are "working dogs and need a job to do." Yes, they do. BUT, she got a horse recently, and now the dogs are old news, dumped in the kennel all the time while she plays with her new horsie.

I was thinking about sending her a letter: "Dear Cindy: If your husband ever comes near my wife again, I'm going to kill him...they've been having an affair for six months...just thought you should know..."

Sorry...the glass of wine went to my head...Can you tell I really dislike these people?

This post has been edited by Dustygirl01 on June 08, 2010 02:22 am
PMEmail Poster
CWB
Posted: June 08, 2010 02:43 am

Forum Addict ++

yeppers ... yer about as subtle as a tank .
while this forum is not for personal , psychological , legal or other problems not related to electronics ...
it does seem that the time for talking is past ... it is time for action .

are you serious about the neighbor guy making "passes" at you (for lack of better terms) ... as in "basis in fact" ?
if this is true , i do not condone blackmail or coercion ... and neither does the law .
again , if your statement is true ... the guy might just change his tune if he believes that by getting the law and judicial system involved it may "expose" what would be considered by some to be scandalous ... not to mention incurring the wrath of his (i'm gonna bet on this one) "trophy wife" .

then again ... as i see it , all that falls on him because of his actions (and his wife's) are of his own making ...
and it is rather obvious that neither of them have a modicum of respect for anyone else ... and this includes each other .

--------------------
R. Feynman '88
PM
Thunderbolt
Posted: June 08, 2010 10:54 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 6,815

Take it up with council and have them served with a noise ordinace. Not only are those dog silencers and shock collars ineffective, they're cruel.

The dogs need to be trained not to bark.

--------------------
Good trades with: Skeith, Nothing40, Jimthecopierwrench. Want it!'s owing: Three.
PMEmail Poster
CWB
Posted: June 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Forum Addict ++

dogs will be dogs ... that is what they are (training asides) .

i'll bet if the owners had to wear a collar that zapped them every time their dog(s) barked it would get awful quiet in short order .

--------------------
R. Feynman '88
PM
tekwiz
Posted: June 08, 2010 06:41 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

If you really want such a device built, I do some contract work & would be willing to build you one. However, it will be kind of pricy, as all custom built gear is. No guarantee that it will stop the barking, either. However, if the dogs' ears start to seriously hurt each time they bark, they should get the idea pretty quick. The device can be tuned so that kids can't hear it, too. As well, I accept no responsibility as to how it's used.
Slip me a PM if you are interested.

--------------------

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
jman 31
Posted: June 10, 2010 05:18 pm

Forum Addict

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 23,347

I had some neighbors whos dogs barked at everything and it drove me crazy. I finally resorted to opening their gate and letting the dogs out every time I saw them leave. It worked too! They finally got rid of them because it was more trouble that it was worth to get them back! laugh.gif

--------------------
My DIY Forum http://www.italentshare.com/forum
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
tekwiz
Posted: June 10, 2010 05:23 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (jman 31 @ June 10, 2010 08:18 am)
I had some neighbors whos dogs barked at everything and it drove me crazy. I finally resorted to opening their gate and letting the dogs out every time I saw them leave. It worked too! They finally got rid of them because it was more trouble that it was worth to get them back! laugh.gif

Looking glass warfare can be a lot of fun. wink.gif

--------------------

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
ccayser
Posted: June 10, 2010 07:50 pm

Member No.: 28,225

Why do we always think, that we rule the World? Imagine, that there would be somebody greater than people and all the sudden when we start to talk or make any kind of noise, we get electricuted or some loud high frequency noise makes our ears hurt. I have 2 dogs, all my neighbours have dogs. It's dogs yob to bark. If you do not like it, maybe earplugs or moving to somewhere else would help?
PMEmail Poster
tekwiz
Posted: June 11, 2010 07:00 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (ccayser @ June 10, 2010 10:50 am)
Why do we always think, that we rule the World? Imagine, that there would be somebody greater than people and all the sudden when we start to talk or make any kind of noise, we get electricuted or some loud high frequency noise makes our ears hurt. I have 2 dogs, all my neighbours have dogs. It's dogs yob to bark. If you do not like it, maybe earplugs or moving to somewhere else would help?

Well & good if you can afford to do so. Some of us are not in a position to move at will. Also, when I moved here, there were no dogs within earshot. Now there are many. What right do you dog owners have to enforce your pet's noise on others? Build a soundproof fence to keep the noise on your own property & we wouldn't have any problems. It's your noise invading my space that is the problem. I keep my activities within my own space & go out of my way to avoid anything that would bother others. I feel I have the right to expect the same courtesy from others. I also feel I have the right to deal with things that invade my space with methods that work.
Would you rather face noise fines every other day?

BTW: When I mention "you" it means all discourteous dog owners. annoyed.gif

--------------------

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
telomere
Posted: June 11, 2010 10:24 pm

Forum Addict ++

QUOTE (tekwiz @ June 11, 2010 11:00 am)
What right do you dog owners have to enforce your pet's noise on others? Build a soundproof fence to keep the noise on your own property & we wouldn't have any problems.

Maybe Canuckistan is different, but I don't believe that you have a freedom from noise.

Notice that people are free to make all the noise they want with saws, shop tools, and during daytime hours, even heavy machinery. They are free to harass the entire neighborhood with it as much as they want.

And even getting out of the hours of the day, they are free to harass with loud cars, loud motorcycle exhaust, and many other things any time they please.

While I don't support people letting their dogs bark incessantly, or especially during the night, I also don't see why in the world a dog barking should be treated differently than any other type of loud or irritating noise. If I have to listen to a neighbor's dog barking all day long, it's not different to me than if I have to listen to their air compressor, tile saw, chainsaw, lawnmower, wood chipper, table saw, motorcycle exhaust, hammering on their roof, jackhammering their concrete, hot-rod exhaust, or anything else.

--------------------
"Sometimes I can't tell the difference between thinking and being quiet, but I'll try."
PMEmail Poster
tekwiz
Posted: June 12, 2010 06:14 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

QUOTE (telomere @ June 11, 2010 01:24 pm)
What right do you dog owners have to enforce your pet's noise on others? Build a soundproof fence to keep the noise on your own property & we wouldn't have any problems.

Maybe Canuckistan is different, but I don't believe that you have a freedom from noise.

Notice that people are free to make all the noise they want with saws, shop tools, and during daytime hours, even heavy machinery. They are free to harass the entire neighborhood with it as much as they want.

And even getting out of the hours of the day, they are free to harass with loud cars, loud motorcycle exhaust, and many other things any time they please.

While I don't support people letting their dogs bark incessantly, or especially during the night, I also don't see why in the world a dog barking should be treated differently than any other type of loud or irritating noise. If I have to listen to a neighbor's dog barking all day long, it's not different to me than if I have to listen to their air compressor, tile saw, chainsaw, lawnmower, wood chipper, table saw, motorcycle exhaust, hammering on their roof, jackhammering their concrete, hot-rod exhaust, or anything else.

Most towns have noise ordinances, mostly after 9:00PM. I don't have a problem with noise during the day either. It's the dogs that stay out all night that are the problem, or the ones that are put out for 2 or 3 hours in the night & bark constantly from the time they get outside until they are taken in. There are a few of those around here. They aren't doing a job, they are obviously brain damaged & should be conditioned by whatever means work. I feel the same way about any noise after hours, including my own. Even if I am working late, my shop doors get closed at 6:00PM & I don't do any work outside after 8:00PM. All of my noise stays inside.

This world would be a much better place if everybody gave a little more thought to how their activities affect others.

BTW: Our town goes after excessively noisy vehicles, too. People get upset when they can hear one vehicle all over town, from anywhere in town. Living in a mountain valley makes things much worse.

--------------------

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
telomere
Posted: June 12, 2010 08:30 pm

Forum Addict ++

QUOTE (tekwiz @ June 12, 2010 10:14 am)
QUOTE (telomere @ June 11, 2010 01:24 pm)

Most towns have noise ordinances, mostly after 9:00PM. I don't have a problem with noise during the day either. It's the dogs that stay out all night that are the problem, or the ones that are put out for 2 or 3 hours in the night & bark constantly from the time they get outside until they are taken in. There are a few of those around here. They aren't doing a job, they are obviously brain damaged & should be conditioned by whatever means work.

This world would be a much better place if everybody gave a little more thought to how their activities affect others.

BTW: Our town goes after excessively noisy vehicles, too. People get upset when they can hear one vehicle all over town, from anywhere in town. Living in a mountain valley makes things much worse.

We certainly agree about everyone giving some consideration to others!

The dogs that bark aren't brain damaged, they're doing what dogs do - especially what dogs do when they're neglected and bored. If they howl, that is a sure sign that they feel VERY lonely and bored.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages:12 Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force