Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Help Solarise
dmg
Posted: August 07, 2017 07:16 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 36,860

ookay, so it turns out i need some help.

My borther has a tiny tiny electric pump pumping water from a small creek on his ranch stuff.
It does not need a lot of power, only 100 watt.

The problem is it needs to run 24/7 for reasons i fail to understand or would like to understand.
So over a month it does consume a hefty amount, and they have no option of grid tie solar solution.

How would it be possible to power the thing from solar, and if that is not available resort to grid ?
He has a small UPS that sortha manages to power the thing for a short time if power goes out.
The UPS consist of a battery charger , a battery, and a real sine wave inverter.
The pump runs from the inverter, there is no cut out to grid driectly.

How could i connect a solar panel and make sure the solar panel is utilised at its maximum, and if say.. the sun sets, then just have the grid supply the power ?
i was thinking of having more than one battery, one allways running the pump via the inverter, one on the battery charger, and one charged by the solar panel...
and then say.. at a fixed time intervallum a circuit should swap them around , the one that ran the pump till then would be connected to the solar panel, the one that was connected to the solar panel would be connected to the charger (so if it managed to top off then it should take no further charging, if it did not manage then the charger would top it) and the one that was on the charger would hook up to the inverter.

I'm not even sure if this is a feasable way to do, and allso i do not know how to solve it ina way that the pump never stops.

and i have no clue why that pump has to run 24/7...

PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: August 07, 2017 08:15 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 5,314

Always run the pump from the battery. If both the solar and grid are off for a while, you still have battery power.

Use the grid and solar only for charging the battery.

Use a relay on the solar output to turn on when solar voltage is high enough, and release the grid power. When solar voltage drops, the relay would turn off the solar and turn the grid power back on.

You could build a window comparator to trigger the relay, but it would be simpler to adjust the relay coil with a pot IMO.

Pretty simple, but it should make the most of the solar power. Would be even better if he could get a DC pump and avoid the inverter altogether.

My two cents. beer.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
dmg
Posted: August 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Forum Addict ++

hmm good point on the inverter.

what if the solar panel makes enough volts, but not enough amps ?
thent he pump will stall, but it will not change back to grid power charging the battery, right ?
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: August 08, 2017 02:49 am

Forum Addict ++

QUOTE (dmg @ August 07, 2017 04:36 pm)
what if the solar panel makes enough volts, but not enough amps ?
thent he pump will stall, but it will not change back to grid power charging the battery, right ?

I don't think so. As amp requirement increases, voltage will drop and the grid will kick in.

There might be a good bit of switching back and forth though. If so, then a window comparator might be a good idea to provide some hysteresis.

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

PMEmail Poster
dmg
Posted: August 08, 2017 07:56 pm

Forum Addict ++

i'd probabyl need a diode too to allow the relay to switch, and not be fooled by the battery voltage, right ?
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: August 08, 2017 09:45 pm

Forum Addict ++

Probably so. Just remember to allow for the voltage drop (usually 0.7V or so).

--------------------
Mac *

PMEmail Poster
dmg
Posted: August 09, 2017 11:15 am

Forum Addict ++

allso i might be better with an solid state relay, one rated for 5 volts, and probably a potmeter to set switching on and off.

i should sortha put this thing before a charge controller, supposedly those have boost converter inside to help increase the voltage i think.
i gona look around maybe i can source a charge controller that has cut in/cut out functionality. probably one that is supposed to be used for wind has something like that.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force