Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Si4432 Breakout, PCB mount/external antenna
johnfulgor
Posted: September 24, 2017 01:38 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 13,143

Hello all,
I've bought a couple of SI4432 breakouts like this:

SI4432 breakout

I want to mount it on a PCB board still to be made (I can't solder small components by myself, so I preferred to use the breakout). My idea is to solder pad to pad directly, breakout over mother PCB, without using pins. Any advice about the PCB layout? Should I connect the antenna GND to the bottom GND plane on the mother PCB? Should I remove all the top-layer copper below the module? Is it possible to connect the antenna hot pin and GND to a coaxial connector, so to allow the use of an external directive antenna instead of the spring antenna sold with the module?
Thank you very much!
PMEmail Poster
CoulombMagician
Posted: September 24, 2017 05:14 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 3,131

Try an SMA connector. Notice that the antenna pin on the transceiver board has gnd contacts on both sides of it. Solder the two gnd legs of the SMA to those pads and add a small wirewrap(AWG30) jumper from the SMA center contact to the antenna pad, the jumper will be less than 1/8 inch long. You can then use a 50 Ohm coax cable to reach the 433 MHz antenna if you like.
I can't comment on the carrier board without seeing it's layout but the general approach is OK. I've done that sort of thing with bluetooth(2.4GHz) modules in the past and had very good results.
Good luck.
PMEmail Poster
Sch3mat1c
Posted: September 24, 2017 07:20 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 73

It's made with castellated pads (i.e., the pads wrap around the edge of the board, concave), so it can be SMT'd to a board with SMT pads in the same locations.

Tim

--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force