Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Laplace
cooded
Posted: January 29, 2011 09:37 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 34,269

Hello everyone

Problem: An RC circuit initially at rest has a step input signal.The response c(t) across C is c(t)=1-e^-at
If now theres is an initial voltage of 2v on the capacitor then find out the c(t) for the same input step voltage.

My attempt at solution:

C(s)=1/s - 1/(s+a)
U(s)= 1/s

Comparing it with transfer function of RC circuit, Vout(s)/U(s)=1/(1+RCS) so here a=1/RC.

Now the new Vout(s)=c(s) + 2v
hence c(s)=Vout(s) - 2v

The answer given is 1 + e^-at. I just cannot come to that answer using the above method. Please can anyone guide me. Also can someone verify whether what i did was right.

Regards

PMEmail Poster
Sch3mat1c
Posted: January 30, 2011 01:46 am

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 73

You omitted the partial fractions step. Your final step before the inverse Laplace is factoring the equation from a polynomial fraction to a series of low-order fractions. Specifically, you'll have a s(s+a) denominator which must be seperated to obtain the 1/s and 1/(s+a) terms. Performing this process, you should find the initial condition affects the coefficients, thus giving the expected result (the voltage should fall asymptotically to the input level).

Tim

--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
MrAl
Posted: December 15, 2011 01:14 pm

Group: Members+
Member No.: 30,052

Hi,

I agree with the previous post in that you did not really show how you got C(s) so it's hard to say what you are doing is correct or not.

There are several ways to approach this problem mostly because it only involves one storage component, the capacitor.

One standard way would be to write a first order differential equation and use Laplace equivalents for the derivatives (simply Laplace transforms of the derivatives).

If you dont want to write a differential equation (after all it's only one capacitor) then you can use superposition calling the input source source 1 and the initial cap voltage source 2.

Most simply, since the initial cap voltage can be modeled as a simple battery in series with the cap lower lead (that connects to ground) we can shift the ground to the center tap of the cap and this new battery source. We can then solve the standard equation because now we only have one source which is the battery voltage and input source voltage (added or subtracted as needed):
Vc=Vs*(1-e^-t/RC)
The only difference now is that since we made the source Vs the combined original input source minus the initial voltage, we have to add that initial voltage back to the equation to get the right answer:
Vc=Vs*(1-e^-t/RC)+Vc0
and since Vs was the input source minus the initial cap voltage we get:
Vc=(Vcc-Vc0)*(1-e^-t/RC)+Vc0
That solution didnt require much work at all.

This post has been edited by MrAl on December 15, 2011 01:18 pm

--------------------
Sorry i stepped on your T.O.E.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force