Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Safe Led Bulbs
infobot
Posted: April 03, 2018 02:31 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 6,196

Conventional light bulbs can explode, I have experienced that a few times with bulbs that were matching the wattage of the lamp. Explosions can occur when there is a spark in the bulb when the filament has become thinner. It also has to do with the presence of a certain amount of gas in the bulb. Terrible disasters can happen as a result of such an explosion, the glas is flying around and it is sharp glass.

Now I want to start with led and read that some led filament lamps are made of glass and filled with some sort of gas.

What led lamp is as safe as possible in relation to explosion?
Is a led lamp with about 10 or 20 small leds safer than a filament lamp which sometimes contains gas?
PMEmail Poster
Sch3mat1c
Posted: April 04, 2018 04:23 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 73

What's exploding now?

I only know of pressurized lamps exploding: HPS, metal halide, xenon arc, etc. Incandescents can arc and crack, but do not contain high pressure.

If your problem is an explosive atmosphere (combustible gasses, dust), you should probably use an explosion-proof fixture, regardless.

LEDs are probably less hazard.

If your worry is zero versus nonzero chance, not lesser versus greater chance, I don't see that LEDs can't arc over on breaking, or catch fire on some freak failure of the drive circuit.

But if your worry is to achieve zero chance, you've already lost...

If you'd like, I could design you a custom LED fixture that meets all the regulations and has as many safeguards as possible, to prevent ignition, arcing, failure, that sort of thing. It won't be cheap. But, approaching a "zero" chance of failure can't be cheap.

Tim

--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Nothing40
Posted: April 04, 2018 09:10 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 181

I've never had,or heard of,a regular incandescent bulb exploding.
I have noticed that recently they don't last nearly as long as they used to (only like 2 weeks. WTF?)..along with becoming harder to find,and more expensive than they used to be.

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
MacFromOK
Posted: April 05, 2018 12:35 am

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 5,314

We had a direct (or near-direct) lightning strike to the mains when I was a kid.

We lived in an old house with a single bulb fixture in the living room ceiling (turned "on" at the time), and the bulb grenaded before the fuse blew. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
infobot
Posted: April 05, 2018 03:54 pm

Group: Members+
Member No.: 6,196

From wikipedia:
"The lamp may contain a high thermal conductivity gas (helium) blend to better conduct heat from the LED filament to the glass bulb".
PMEmail Poster
gremlinsa
Posted: April 05, 2018 07:13 pm

Forum Addict

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 3,112

QUOTE (MacFromOK @ April 05, 2018 01:35 am)
the bulb grenaded before the fuse blew. biggrin.gif

I had this happen a few times..

Except every time there was water or moisture involved, and it was the thermal shock that caused the glass to break..

Also the incandescent is at vacuum or lower that atmospheric pressure. Thus they do not explode, but rather implode.

--------------------
Give me a Break... I'm dik-lic-sic, dus-kik-lic.... Gawd ... F'ed in the Head...
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
AwesomeMatt
Posted: April 06, 2018 06:08 am

Forum Addict ++

Member No.: 9,878

I've never had,or heard of,a regular incandescent bulb exploding.

There used to be a brand of dollarstore 4-pack lightbulbs where the 100 watters would explode after only a few weeks use. Sunbeam maybe?

I used to have them in my garage when I filmed my electric recumbent bike stuff there and regularly they'd pop and the glass would separate from the metal and fly across the room and shatter on whatever it collided with.

I went through probably 8 of them in a summer and never bought any again.
PMEmail Poster
mrk
Posted: April 07, 2018 08:25 am

Member No.: 38,803

I've never had a normal.. G-whatever edison base thing pop.

but halogen bulbs will on occasion if you handle them wrong (get grease on them). too hot.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force