Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Following The Kit Instructions
Jimthecopierwrench
Posted: January 19, 2012 04:43 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 561

Can you? laugh.gif

Am I the only one that seems to have never found any kit for anything that didn't need some of "I think I can do it better" modification?

Rear fun bags finally came in for the beast last week. Install instructions here: http://www.firestoneip.com/site-resources/...lation/2080.pdf

First of all I didn't order the correct kit. Can't - not enough clearence between the tire and frame for the 'correct' application - that they call under 10.000 Lb GVW, so I ordered the motorhome kit. Mounting location (under frame instead of outboard) more suitable for me, and I figured it orta be a 'heavier' kit too.

Quick eyeball and hand fit (not going to really start before Saturday) just to make sure I was in the right game says they'll fit where they need to go - barely but almost by luck. Which is odd, because the P-30 Class A motorhome uses the same axle tubes and shock mounts as mine - only difference is duallies vs single wheel, and the spring U bolts and bracket are inverted on the duallies although the pieces are the same.

Just had a smoke and went over the install instructions and checked the hardware bag against the list - prudence is fair. Everything is there.

Only two obvious 'must' deviations are that I'm going to have to punch out drill the frame after punching out the rivets (snubber brackets are riveted not bolted - indeed I've never seen GM use bolts on them), and lifting is definately going to be required to do that.

The brake hard line across the axle tube will also need to be moved. this is mentioned, but I have no intention of using nylon cable ties to hold the reroute. I may be staisfied with hose clamps, or I may tack some new bendy brackets (the oem uses small tabs of steel that are simpy bent over the lines to secure them) to the axle housing. To be determined.

But what's bugging me is the brackets that mount the fun bag to the axle tube.

First, the upper bracket appears to be 'universal'. The square design would in theory fit tubes between 2-1/2 - 4" the range of axle tubes used by GM from 10 to 14 bolt IIRC. This would save them stamping and bending semicircular upper clamp shells for each axle. IF they were absolutely and securely fastened, I don't see this as a major issue, but this is the thing:

The lower axle straps are IMO not only too thin, but also are for a much larger radius that my axle tube - maybe 6" (there is no such animal by the way as far as I can remember in this class - axles that heavy were square tube castings, with the exception of some old Eatons used in 5 tons)

As well, the straps are quite light material wise - formed from a bit thinner than 3/16" mild flat stock.

Of coure their purpose is to stop the bag from falling off the axle at droop - but still they just seem too flimsy to be doing suspension duty of any kind. I can see them deforming rather quickly allowing the upper bracket to start walking around the axle tube until the 4 contact points get worn, pummeled, or wear into the tube.

Seems a section of 6 x 6 x 3/16" rectangular tube would be in order - sliced and cut to make a pair of proper round brackets (think a very large very wide muffler clamp ) to sit on the axle, fastened with U bolts and nuts.

Actually I might check to see if muffler clamps are in fact made in that size, because then it would simply be a matter of welding a pair to a square 1/4" plate - far less work than fabbing brackets from scratch: drilling 6 holes per side and a bit of non critical welding.

In the end though, can't help feeling like it's just 'me' - just can't follow the damned instructions like it would kill me if I did laugh.gif . That's almost a bit depressing, and the more I think about it - I never could. Always had to sub out that ungraded bolt for a grade 8, or cut this, or add that. Recently even had to add a grommet to center the contact spring (which tendede to flop over and spit off the positive contact) in a flashlight I bought for a few bucks. Curse or gift i ask?

--------------------
All children are equal in the eyes of dog :)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Sch3mat1c
Posted: January 19, 2012 04:55 am

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (Jimthecopierwrench @ January 18, 2012 10:43 pm)
Can you? laugh.gif

Am I the only one that seems to have never found any kit for anything that didn't need some of "I think I can do it better" modification?

Rear fun bags

Wait, back it up a minute. You're putting...breasts? On the ass? Of your car?

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/181813

Tim

--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
Jimthecopierwrench
Posted: January 19, 2012 05:16 am

Group Icon

Member No.: 561

Well ...

1 - Been told I'm not allowed to cut and paste with real women.

2 - If ya just gotta do it to your ride - uh, vehicle - ya gonna go T&A or http://trucknutz.com/ ? laugh.gif

(fun bags indeed. User selectable ride comfort / bag size via standard schrader fitting - 4 million years of evolution never developed that kind of convenience biggrin.gif )

--------------------
All children are equal in the eyes of dog :)
Geek
Posted: January 19, 2012 11:35 am

Group Icon

Member No.: 62

Ah lives inna farmin' town! Lotsa truuuuucks with REAL bull balls on 'em laugh.gif

As for instructions, since most of the stuff is in engrish, I'm faster without them wink.gif

Cheers!

--------------------
-= Gregg =-
"Ratings are for transistors.....tubes have guidelines"
(please do not PM me for advice. Non-forum business messages will be ignored)
PMUsers Website
damien
Posted: January 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Member No.: 175

I was snagged into this post simply like Tim with the absorbing of fun bags.

Damien

--------------------
Wow you look quite normal for a geek.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.
CWB
Posted: January 19, 2012 01:42 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 15,154

heh ... funbags . yep yep yep .
shades of robert crumb .

--------------------
"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
R. Feynman '88
PM
tekwiz
Posted: January 19, 2012 10:21 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,746

I usually buy components with the express idea of modding them to suit my purposes. The only time I leave them as is is for exact OEM replacement.
My latest equipment purchase is a good example...I bought a $150 bench sandblasting cabinet from Cambodian Tired. 3 weeks later, it's installed as a floor machine, with full outside exhaust & completely reworked abrasive collection system. The new system requires only about 1/4 of the abrasive of the original, & separates out chunks & dust besides. The lower abrasive amount makes it practical to use silicon carbide in with the sand for faster cutting.

When it comes to vehicle mods, I plan first, then look for parts that do what I need. If they are made, fine. If not, then I mod the closest product...to my standards. I don't believe in planned lifespans...everything I do is done with an eye towards forever. I also don't believe in having to fix anything more than once.

--------------------
Trouble rather the tiger in his lair, than the sage among his books.
For to you, kings & armies are things mighty & enduring.
To him, mere toys of the moment, to be overturned at the flick of a finger.

Fortuna favet fortibus.
PMEmail Poster
johndev
Posted: January 24, 2012 04:22 pm

Group: Members+
Member No.: 36,384

Really interesting.
PMEmail Poster
AwesomeMatt
Posted: January 24, 2012 04:49 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 9,878

Really interesting. [...] (and every other suspiciously bumped thread posted in)

http://www.dutchforce.com/~eforum/index.ph...sult_type=posts <-- Peculiar...

Also, for relevant content...

I am rather insistent on following the directions. I despise that moment of "Well how do I... crap, those had to go on *first*, now I have to take these one apart again to get the other ones in there."

But I do love modding things so they perfectly fit my exact use. I'd never do it with anything new, but then, I rarely buy anything new anyway. If I get something used I consider it "rescued" and have no guilt about performing surgery on it.

Also once or twice, thing like this:

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Geek
Posted: January 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Group Icon

Member No.: 62

Hmm, no pool of blood. I assume she just realized her error? laugh.gif

Cheers!

--------------------
-= Gregg =-
"Ratings are for transistors.....tubes have guidelines"
(please do not PM me for advice. Non-forum business messages will be ignored)
PMUsers Website
MacFromOK
Posted: January 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 5,314

At least there's a ladder going up to the seat now... laugh.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force