Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Qrp Cw Transceiver, The "KD1JV" kit
cgriggs
Posted: April 20, 2017 05:15 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 40,300

I finally got the KD1JV Tri-bander transceiver all hooked up and ready to check out when I realized the Band Switch was not functioning. It wouldn't move left or right. (40, 30, 15 meters)

I emailed the company, Pacific Antenna, and now I wait for their answer.

I also made a comment on their "Power Up And Test" paragraphs. There has to be a better way to word it as I know that when I get that far, I'm going to want to pull out the remaining stubbles of my hair. Wow! What a confusing mess it seems to be! LOL

Has anyone in our group had dealings with this rig? Am I just getting senile or doesn't it make sense to you either? I'll reread it a few more times and maybe get it eventually, but right now??? LOL

Charlie
PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: April 21, 2017 02:53 am

Here is what the instructions tell me:

"You must now program the processor so it knows which frequency (in meters) you have selected for band A, B and C. (My choices were 40, 30 & 15)
bA80 shown on the display indicates band A is currently set to 80 meters.

1. Change the band setting by tapping the DOT paddle. This will advance the setting from 80 to 60, 60 to 40 and so on. The display will change accordingly and a beep will sound. [bA8.0], [bA6.0] and so on. After 15 meters, the selection will roll over back to 80 meters. This is done in case you go past the band you wanted, as there is no “decrement” switch.

2. Once the proper band setting is selected, advance to the next band to be set by clicking the keyer switch located under the display. The next higher frequency band will automatically be selected and displayed.

3. Select the band setting for the B band

4. Click keyer switch to advance to C band.

5. Select the band C band

6. Click the keyer switch to finish. The rig will reset to it's normal operation.

● If a mistake is made or at some point you what to change the filters on one of the band positions to operate on a different band, the band select mode can be enabled by holding closed the DASH paddle and the KEYER switch while turning power to the rig on."

Now, do I, at any time manipulate the "Band Switch" or not? Will it automatically, (when I switch to band b or c,) go to the correct frequency? It makes no mention of the band switch at all. Coincidentally, the band switch will not switch, being "frozen" in place, so I mentioned it to the company. ... sigh ...

Charlie
PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: April 21, 2017 03:02 pm

Success!! I figured it out. Never mind.
But, has anyone put one of these together that we might swap notes?
Charlie
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: April 22, 2017 09:12 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 5,314

I haven't, but congrats on getting it working. beer.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

* is not responsible for errors, consequential damage, or... anything.
PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: April 22, 2017 10:53 pm

I haven't gotten it working yet, but I have made sense of the instructions. I'm waiting on the company to send me a replacement band switch, either w/wo a bill for it. I don't want to do anything until I have it wired into the circuit too.
Charlie
On Edit: Leaving for New Orleans after church in the morning. Be back next Sunday. More then.
PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: May 04, 2017 03:49 am

After several emails to the company, Pacific Antenna, they sent the switch. I expect it possibly tomorrow. It's killing me to get back to work and finish it up. LOL They're really great people!
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: May 04, 2017 04:14 am

Forum Addict ++

Good to know. Congrats!

Keep us informed. beer.gif

--------------------
Mac *

"Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." [Wernher Von Braun]

PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: May 12, 2017 02:32 pm

Got it finished to realize I needed a Signal generator to "set it up". Aarrgghh! All of my test equipment is gone. (But I saved a marriage!) LOL

I feel like I went from an instructor of Novice and Conditional classes (in my time) to a mere wide eyed, bewildered student. ("How the mighty have fallen!")

I had to do some calling to find one of the local club members that had one. I gave (read "begged him") it to him to set up. ... sigh ...

"Demoted to red-faced new kid on the block" Charlie
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: May 13, 2017 02:16 am

Forum Addict ++

Hey, progress is progress... beer.gif

--------------------
Mac *

PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: May 13, 2017 03:13 am

The one "tuning it up" called to let me know that he was concerned about the poor reception on 15 meters so called the company. They told him that there was a correct set of transformers being sent for that band. (Their goof, not mine.) LOL I sure can't complain about the service! I'm dying to see it in operation though!!!
Charlie
PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: June 03, 2017 03:26 pm

The one "tuning it up" had to send it to a field rep to check out. (He couldn't find why it didn't work.)
It was misplaced at the rep's but was found June 1st. It had been repaired and was ready to be sent to the one "TIU".
The rep said:
"The connection from the DDS board to pin 6 of U1, feeding DDS LO into the first mixer, wasn't connected through the board. Possibly a too hot iron was used or the iron was left on the trace too long."
Now I have to wait for the "TIU" to get it, put it back together and call me to pick it up. ... sigh ... LOL
Charlie
It used to be so much easier when you found a schematic you liked, gathered up the parts needed, put it together and enjoyed life while waiting for (seeking out) the next project. LOL
PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: June 06, 2017 02:52 am

I have it and it's working. Only problem? I have to get a short extension ending with a PL-259 coax connector to hook it to my antenna. I'm pretty sure God is testing my patience!
"Screaming into my pillow" Charlie
PS. It's ordered! ... sigh ...

PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: June 08, 2017 03:14 pm

Hooking up a wire to the antenna "post" to check for signals, I discovered absolutely nothing. Lots of audio coming through, but not a single signal! Aarrgghh!

It's on its way back to the company. They are great! Would I deal with them again? Hexx yes! They're bending over backwards for me.

I went looking for kit form transceivers on the internet and they had one that looked like what I wanted, the KD1JV Tri-Bander CW Transceiver: QRP, 3 bands of my choice with full band coverage, not just the novice portion, (as other companies who figured "QRP" meant novices,) DDS, it looked great, the price was right, under $250.00, etc.

It wasn't hard to follow their assembly instructions, but I was thrown for a loop with the "set-up" section. There I needed help but was able to get it locally.

I believe God is trying to teach me patience. ...sigh ... LOL

Charlie
PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: July 08, 2017 03:34 pm

I received the unit, the KD1JV Tri-Bander CW Transceiver, and love it, but there's 4 things I would like to see improved if possible.

1 - The self-contained keyer speed must be reset each session, with no way of maintaining that speed until such day that my receiving ability improves. (Not really a "problem" but I'm old and lazy. LOL)

2 - To get a solid tone for tuning the matchbox swr, you must turn off the power and, while holding the dash paddle, apply power. Then you're able to "set it up", but then you must turn off the power and restart the unit to reactivate the keyer.
(Fortunately, the entire band needs no retuning.)

3 - The unit begins at the bottom of each band. This is ok, as it's the qrp calling frequency, except for problem number 4,

4 - The tuning rate, even at 200 Hz, is too slow. I see no way of increasing it.

If I could only solve number 2, I'd be happy. I can see no way of bypassing the keyer circuit and using my home-brew keyer that has a "tune" switch. This would solve number 1 also.

Anyone have any ideas?

Charlie
PMEmail Poster
cgriggs
Posted: July 17, 2017 04:38 pm

Numbers 1 & 2 were answered and all is well! I love it! A fellow just has to read instructions several times and let it sink in! (I know! I know! We don't read directions, unless everything goes wrong! sheesh! It's a guy thing!) LOL
Charlie
PMEmail Poster
MacFromOK
Posted: July 17, 2017 09:57 pm

Forum Addict ++

QUOTE (cgriggs @ July 17, 2017 10:38 am)
A fellow just has to read instructions several times and let it sink in! (I know! I know! We don't read directions, unless everything goes wrong! sheesh! It's a guy thing! LOL
Charlie

Hehe, that just means you're normal... beer.gif

--------------------
Mac *

PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force