Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How Do I Realize This Problem With A Digital Circu
xieang
Posted: October 12, 2017 11:05 am
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 41,077

I'm trying to design an indicating system for a vehicle if it crosses its speed limit. Of course I'd be using a potentiometer to realize the action of increasing speed. The input is given to the base of a transistor through a zener diode so that I can get a digital output(OFF below the set value and ON if input exceeds the set value).

I need to have another indicator if the vehicle maintains that speed for more than say 2 seconds. I can feed the output of this transistor to a 555 timer set to produce pulses every two seconds and this clock output will be given to a counter.

The problem is that, I am supposed to have a digital equivalent of the first part of this system(As mentioned in the guidelines for the project). Is there any way to realize the switching action of transistor with the help of digital component.

I don't think it's possible to use a digital component as there is no particular level of voltage above/below which we can consider the output as high/low. This problem can be solved by using a transistor and a zener diode as mentioned above.

Since the input is continuous, I don't think any digital circuit can serve this purpose. Please correct me if this is possible.

Is the remaining part of my design(using a timer to produce pulse when the transistor switches on and feeding the clock pulse to a counter) right?
PMEmail Poster
Sch3mat1c
Posted: October 12, 2017 06:09 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 73

It sound as if you need an analog to digital converter... only a 1-bit one...

Otherwise known as a comparator biggrin.gif

Tim

--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force