Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)!
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Dripping A/c Unit
David Stephenson
Posted: December 05, 2016 03:07 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Trusted Members
Member No.: 2,918

Not really electronics, but I'm totally baffled by a condensate leak on my split air-conditioner.
Doing an internet search you get the standard answers

Blocked drain - no it is not water can be poured into the drain pan and flow quickly outside.
cracked drain pan - no, Ive blocked the drain hole and filled it with water not sign of leaks.
sloping drain pan - no, it is level and water poured directly into it drains quickly.
cracked or disconnected drain hose - no, even changed the hose to make sure.
unit icing - no

The problem has been intermittant for the last 3 years (the unit is about 10 years old) and is getting worse.
Any ideas? My current idea (I've had many which have not panned out) is that water is dripping off the top part of the evapourator rather than flowing down through the fins. and is consequently missing the drip tray.
PMEmail Poster
gremlinsa
Posted: December 05, 2016 07:30 pm

Forum Addict

Member No.: 3,112

Once place that many forget to check are the pipe couplings to the evaporator, and the return lines.. At times the Expansion valves and/or return lines ice up..

user posted image user posted image user posted image

This is an example from a Office Split unit, "Fixed" the day before, it iced up from the evaporator all the way back to the compressor head.. It's now been off for most of the summer, Waiting for it to get fixed again..

--------------------
Give me a Break... I'm dik-lic-sic, dus-kik-lic.... Gawd ... F'ed in the Head...
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
David Stephenson
Posted: December 05, 2016 07:59 pm

No it's not icing. I can see the lines to the condensor as they are just outside the window.

I've actually found some references (on the internet) to the water not flowing down the vanes, but dripping off them. Seems like a bit of magic and once it has gone it's not coming back.

On these small units the evapourator coils are almost horizontal at the top they curve round the blower.
Something that also seems to be a thing is "p-traps" mine of course does not have one because there is no sign of air being pulled back through the drain.
PMEmail Poster
David Stephenson
Posted: April 15, 2018 05:09 pm

As I have finally found the problem I will share it as I was unable to find any helpful information on the internet.
The secret is that a/c units also (can) have a back gutter which seems to easily get clogged up with mold. It is very difficult to access and mine seems to be also developing "micro-cracks" so if the water backs up (due to mold blockage) the water seeps through the cracks (or overflows the gutter if the blockage is bad).
Why does no "internet repair sites" say check your back gutter for cloggage?
PMEmail Poster
damien
Posted: April 15, 2018 10:45 pm

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 175

Glad you fixed it a year and a half later. laugh.gif Your solution is now out there on the net too. wink.gif

If the unit is 10 yrs old, it might not be all that efficient either. Have you considered replacing it and getting another 10 years out of it?

Damien

--------------------
Wow you look quite normal for a geek.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force