Powered by Invision Power Board

Forum Rules Forum Rules (Please read before posting)
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Serial Infrared
arivel
Posted: March 19, 2018 10:04 pm
Reply to this postQuote Post

Group: Members+
Member No.: 41,154

Hello to all
is there a way to transmit data in synchronous serial mode using infrared but that is simple and safe without errors?
I would like to know if I can use this method to make an infrared remote control.
I thought of a parallel / serial scroll register for the TX and instead a serial / parallel shift register for RX.
TX and RX communicate with a dedicated LED while the clock with another infrared LED then two LEDs. a clock applied to the TX register causes it to advance one step, the next clock uses the infrared LED to activate the clock of the RX receiver.
I hope I explained myself
PMEmail Poster
Sch3mat1c
Posted: March 20, 2018 11:01 am

Forum Addict ++
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 73

Well... easy way, look up the standards actually used by remote controls.

These are tone-burst, pulse coded methods, the code being based on pulse width, period, or polarity (Manchester encoding).

A complete receiver consists of: IR filter and lens, photodiode, AGC and IF amp, bandpass filter (the carrier frequency is usually 37kHz or thereabouts), and detector. This all fits inside a handy three-pin part, just add logic power (3.3-5V), and usually a pull-up resistor.

You can skimp on any of these building blocks, but you won't get as good performance. Example: omit the bandpass filter, and now it will pick up any carrier frequency, as well as ambient noise (CFLs being the most notorious offender, though nowadays, LED lights shouldn't bother anything). Omit the AGC, and it will only be sensitive over a narrow range of distances. And so on.

They are asynchronous, because the signal is precisely timed and only a single carrier is needed. Synchronous has to provide a clock somehow, and things quickly get very complicated. (Example: to avoid a parallel clock path, "self-clocking" line codings are used, like Manchester, or 8b/10b and the like, which allow a PLL to recover the clock.)

Tim

--------------------
Answering questions is a tricky subject to practice. Not due to the difficulty of formulating or locating answers, but due to the human inability of asking the right questions; a skill that, were one to possess, would put them in the "answering" category.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Nothing40
Posted: March 20, 2018 05:46 pm

Forum Addict ++

Group: Spamminator Taskforce
Member No.: 181

--------------------
"we need an e-kick-in-the-nuts button" -Colt45
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

:: support us ::

ElectronicsSkin by DutchDork & The-Force